INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Mosaics using scheduler

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Mireia on topic Mosaics using scheduler

Exactly, as Ray says that repeats the actual job, not the schedule. There should be a way to loop 'over the loop' N times or indefinitely.

Also, given the request, there should be an option to equalize the jobs so that the zenith distance coverage is similar among the different mosaic panels, otherwise, the background can change dramatically if you go over big mosaics.
1 year 3 months ago #89027

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
Are people here now also starting to post ChatGPT answers without having a clue what they write about?
1 year 3 months ago #89172

• Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone, i have the same problem with mosaic using scheduler, i need do a mosaic 4x4 but one shoot each panel and when finish capture all panels, repeat again the schedule.
If you uncheck the option "Remember job progress", you can undefined times append the file "x.esl" whitout create a duplicate of this file. and this mode you repeat the secuency.
But if you want to do this all night? for example 100 iterations... you need to load the "x.esl file" 100 times again...

This can be a problem in mosaic usin scheduler. I think in the job completion conditions, the repeat for option, should be for all jobs in scheduler but no repeat a panel x times and pass to the next, should be panel 1, panel2, panel3...finish all panels one time and repeat again x times until complete the number of runs indicated in the repeat for option.

I think this is a bug, because for repeat each panel numbers of shots its the "x.esq" file.
So the repeat for option, should repeat all secuency and finish when complete the number of runs selected.

Another option its add a restart button in the job completion conditions, and restart all jobs a x number of runs.

I created a bug report here: invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/issues/249

Thank you.
Last edit: 9 months 6 days ago by Javier Albella.
9 months 6 days ago #93612
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 370
@Javier: I‘ll take a closer look onto it on the weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Javier Albella
9 months 6 days ago #93613

The bug reported: bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=471373

See this video for more details:

So, if i want repeat all jobs, the "repeat for" should be repeat all jobs, and if you want get a x number of captures from each panel, i set it on the sequency file (*.esq), for example:

i want to do a panel 2x2 and each panel with 10 captures of 30 seconds, and repeat for 3 times.
The procedure should be:

1º) Prepare the sequency 10x30seg.esq file
2º) Set "Repeat for = 3" in job completion conditions
3º) Make the mosaic 2x2 and creat jobs
4º) Run the scheduler and it should work doing:
First repeat:
10 captures from panel 1
10 captures from panel 2
10 captures from panel 3
10 captures from panel 4
Second repeat:
10 captures from panel 1
10 captures from panel 2
10 captures from panel 3
10 captures from panel 4
Third repeat:
10 captures from panel 1
10 captures from panel 2
10 captures from panel 3
10 captures from panel 4
And finish Scheduler jobs.

however, now the scheduler its doing:

30 captures from panel 1
30 captures from panel 2
30 captures from panel 3
30 captures from panel 4

Try to do it @Wolfgang Reissenberger

Now the scheduler repeat each job x times before going onto the next job on the queue.
To optimize the maximum captures posible in the night, i mean run each job once then start again from the start of the queue for x number of cycles
with this method, if weather turns bad after a time you would still have some data for all panels of the mosaic.

The objective from this method its not only usefull for astrophotography , its necesary to find variable stars, exoplanets, asteroide... too. Because for this astrophysics study its necesary get maximum number of captures in shortly time.
Thanks you!!
Last edit: 9 months 5 days ago by Javier Albella.
9 months 5 days ago #93618

Hello Javier,
I understand your point, but this feature of iterating over groups of scheduler jobs goes beyond the current capabilities of the scheduler.

But there is a workaround, that in some situations is even more flexible.
  1. Enable the "Remember Job Progress option
  2. Create the mosaic jobs with 10 iterations
  3. Now duplicate each job and set it to 20 iterations
  4. Move the jobs with 20 iterations below all jobs with 10 iterations

With this setup, the scheduler will first complete the jobs with the first 10 iterations. As soon as they are completed, it will start the first job with 20 iterations. Since there have already been 10 iterations completed, this job will be completed after additional 10 iterations. And so forth...

HTH
Wolfgang
9 months 5 days ago #93625

Hello Wolfgang Reissenberger, this its no solution for science applications.

This solution its the same before reported by another users, and for its ok upto 100 rows in scheduler.
But above 100 rows... its no able because scheduler go slow above 120 rows.

For search variabels stars, asteroids, exoplanets its neaded do at least 300 captures with few seconds for each panel, and this for a mosaic 4x4 are 16panels:
so 16panels x 300 captures = 4800 rows in scheduler.

The scheduler go slow abobe 100 or 120 rows and crash above 500 rows ... So i think this its really a performance bug in scheduler.

Another posible solution? there is any method to reset all jobs automatically and restart when finish?
If this its possible, i could do it with a full mosaic tour (in the example will be 16 rows in scheduler) and when finish , reset all and start again.

Thanks!!
Last edit: 9 months 3 days ago by Javier Albella.
9 months 5 days ago #93630

Hello Janvier,
many thanks for the explanation, now I understand your use case. And more than 100 rows in the scheduler is not a solution, right!

The only thing I tried to clarify that your comment wasn’t a bug report, it is a feature request :-)

The Scheduler module is „slightly“ unhandy in its current code base, and we are doing a lot of code refactoring in the background. We wanted getting this done before we touch the scheduler.

But I‘ll check whether we can provide a solution for your scenario without too massive effort.

HTH
Wolfgang
9 months 5 days ago #93633

Hello Wolfgang,

Maybe a check button in Job Completion Conditions than reset all jobs automatically and restart again?

Thank You!!
9 months 4 days ago #93635

Sounds interesting, Javier, thanks for the idea.

I'm afraid, if we want to have a simple solution, this will only work if the "Remember Job Progress" option is disabled. The downside will be that we will loose the restarting ability of the scheduler when using this feature. That means, if you did an incomplete session last night, it won't be completed first.

Cheers
Wolfgang
9 months 4 days ago #93636

Hello Wolfgang,

I only work with the "Remember Job Progress" option disabled. Because is more simple add rows to the sheduler queue.

See this video to see like I work to make an idea.

Another hand, i dont understand this:

"The downside will be that we will loose the restarting ability of the scheduler when using this feature. That means, if you did an incomplete session last night, it won't be completed first."

Thanks,
Regards
9 months 3 days ago #93656

OK, I think I understand. Could you please elaborate a little bit about your use case? What is the intention behind why you are shooting mosaics in combination with iterating over the mosaic positions? Or is the general idea visiting several positions in a row with a few captures per position, and repeating the entire row a certain amount of times or until the end of the session?
9 months 3 days ago #93657

Time to create page: 3.337 seconds