INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to configure profile with two ZWO cameras in 3.6.2?

• Thank you received: 0
I want to create an optical train with main CCD being ASI183MC Pro and a guide scope of ASI174MM mini. I can select ZWO CCD and/or ZWO camera1and/or ZWO camera2. How do I associate the different cameras with these designations? Do I need to have an active connection to these devices to create configurations?

Also, the docs show the selectable devices in the Profile Editor dialog with names "CCD" and "Guider". On Mac with 3.6.2, I see "Camera 1" and "Camera 2". I like "CCD" and "Guider" better because the association is clearer.

Thanks!
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by David Maffitt.
1 year 3 months ago #89355

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

OK, working with active connections and trying

If I select
Camera 1: ZWO CCD
Camera 2: ZWO Camera 1
the INDI Control Panel has two tabs
1. "ZWO CCD". Connection fails with "[ERROR] Error connecting to the CCD (ASI_ERROR_CAMERA_REMOVED). "
2. "ZWO CCD ASI174MM mini". Connection is successfull and controls functional.

If I select
Camera 1: ZWO Camera 1
Camera 2: ZWO Camera 2
the INDI Control Panel has no tabs for cameras and I get an alert from Kstars "Unable to establish the remote devices ZWO Camera 1, ZWO Camera 2"

Ekos is running 3.6.2 on a MacBook Pro connected to Raspberry Pi 4B running INDIWebManager with the INDI lib from the latest build of StellarMate.
1 year 3 months ago #89356

• Thank you received: 9
I use a 183MC Pro and 120MM-S together.
I select ZWO CCD for both in the setup.
Then in the image train I select the 183 or 120 for the Primary and Secondary trains.
Only combination that works for me with 2x ZWO.
1 year 3 months ago #89358

Of course the one combination I didn't try. Using "ZWO CCD" for both I now get tabs for both cameras in INDI Control panel and connection is made. However, I do not get a dialog for Optical Train. I don't see how to assign one to capture and one to guiding. On the CCD module tab, the 'Train' drop down is greyed-out and there are no trains to pick. Macs have a problem where pop-ups are often behind other windows but that is not the case here. I can find the hidden Port selector window but the Optical train window does not appear and is not hidden.
1 year 3 months ago #89359

• Thank you received: 3

I was able to get things working by using ZWO CCD for both main and guiding cameras after trying all combinations as well.

I have also seen the issue where the optical train drop-down is grayed out - I believe this is a symptom of something not happy in Ekos with your equipment. The only way I have been able to see the Optical Train dialog is to click on the pencil icon next to the drop-down selector - and this only works once all equipment is successfully connected (dropdown is no longer grayed out). Even then it is not obvious that you can change the values in the table that is shown. You have to first double-click on one of the values (for example on the main camera - and it then changes to a drop-down allowing you to edit which camera is assigned. It is not straightforward at all.

I saw lots of problems when I tried using my ASI 120MM connected via USB 3 - once I changed to a USB 2 connector it started working. Yestarday I was trying to get a ASI 174MM working and it was very flaky with USB 3 - it would connect by not successfully take an image. It worked flawlessly with USB 2. I believe at the end of the night I was also able to finally get it to work with USB 3 using a different cable - but I need to spend some more time verifying it working. I have ordered a couple of different USB 3 cables on amazon.
1 year 3 months ago #89362

Interesting. I am away from the hardware for a while but will look at the USB 2 vs USB 3. I have been learning that it is very important to get quality cabling. Some are data only, some power only, some data and power. There are too many cheap cables that don't really meet specs. Buy from a good source that provides full specs for the cable. We've spent a lot on hardware. Cabling isn't a place to save a few bucks.
1 year 3 months ago #89366

Interestingly, one of the cables that doesn't work with the ASI 120MM or ASI 174MM is the thick gray USB 3 cable that comes with ASI cameras.

My miniPC is all USB 3 - so in order to force a connection to use USB 2 - I had to connect a USB 2 hub ot one of the USB 3 hubs on the miniPC - I have noticed that most of equipment that uses a serial over USB (i.e. and FTDI type connection) - these are most happy using USB 2. So I have my EQMOD cable, Pegasus PowerBox Micro and ASI 120MM all connected to the USB 2 hub. This has been very stable so far. The ASI 1600mm-c and EAF seem happy connecting direclty to USB 3 connectors on the miniPC.
1 year 3 months ago #89368

I am using the ZWO-supplied USB-3 ribbon cable for the 183 and ZWO-supplied USB-2 ribbon cable for the 174, each connected to a USB-3 or USB-2 port on the PI. Funny enough, the Optical Train window now appears when the profile is started. I did nothing different except start the profile again with fingers crossed. I take that back. I had unplugged the USB-2 cable to verify that it was connected to a USB-2 port.
I was able to edit a train as you described and connect all devices and capture images from both cameras with the scope on the bench. Progress, if not a lot of confidence.
1 year 3 months ago #89370

I think those ASI ribbon cables are new-ish. I noticed that one of those came with my 174 - which I purchased fairly recently. They use to ship their USB 3 cameras with these long & thick gray USB 3 cables. I wonder if they stopped using those cables because of issues.
1 year 3 months ago #89372

Time to create page: 1.169 seconds