INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars remote saving path problem

• Thank you received: 1
Dear Mr. T-Studio,
I have to agree with Mr. TKakura. He was saying the same as you are saying first, but then he tested and changed his view - just see this thread above. I think there might be some misunderstanding. You always talk about Samba, but in my case, I am not using Samba, or at least not conciously, for operating my setup from the KStars running on the PC. It just connects to the INDI server running at the RPi. Well, I use Samba when I want to map my RPi storage to Windows, but it is a different story. Saving images "remotely", i.e., on the RPi, is significantly less time consuming than saving them "locally", i.e., transfer them to the PC (if you use wire connection, the situation is a lot different, but it is very nicely observable when using WiFi). Hence, I conclude that there is no image transfer to the PC and back to RPi when using "remote" saving. I was testing this with KStars 3.6.3 Beta.

Greetings to Japan and clear skies,
Michal
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Michal.
1 year 2 months ago #89708

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 30
Please use the comment function for blog articles.
(There is a comment section below the article.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tkakura
1 year 2 months ago #89709

• Thank you received: 24
Understood.
I will now comment on the ARTICLE of 2023/01/05.
1 year 2 months ago #89710

I read the source code.

In the member function CCD::ExposureCompletePrivate of indiccd.cpp, there is a code to save the image data to the terminal where the indi ccd driver is running in case of "Save Remotely".

If KStars is running on Windows and the indi ccd driver is running on Raspi, the indi ccd driver will save the image data directly to Raspi in the case of "Save Remotely".
This means that in this case, the image data does not go through the network.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by tkakura.
1 year 2 months ago #89712

• Thank you received: 107
In ekos there this tooltip which explains it. When locally is selected then images are stored on computer where Ekos is running by Ekos so there is transfer from indiserver to ekos. When remotely is selected thenimage is saved where indi driver is running. This is important in case that you have chained two indiserver together because you can run indiserver1 on PC1 then run second indiserver2 on PC2 connect from indiserver2 to indiserver1 and then run KStars/Ekos on PC3 and connect to indiserver2 and have access to devices on both PC1 and PC2. indiserver2 then forwards messages between client kstars and indiserver1.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by nou.
1 year 2 months ago #89713
Attachments:

The description in this tooltip does not read "images are stored without going through the network where the indi driver is running," which is the problem in the first place.
No mention of indi driver, nor does it say it does not go through the network.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by tkakura.
1 year 2 months ago #89714

• Thank you received: 107
"No images are uploaded to Ekos" this implicitly say that there is no network transfer done.
1 year 2 months ago #89718

I understand what Tips is trying to explain, but it is not direct and difficult to understand.
"Upload" is from the driver's perspective and not primarily about the user experience of using Ekos.

It should have been written like your first Tips description.
1 year 2 months ago #89719

• Thank you received: 30
Mr. Michal

I also confirmed this feature today.

Set the directory item to the remote directory, local → remote, set the remote directory, and if the change was reflected in the driver, it was saved to the drive of the server.

I remember it used to be an item used in DSLRs, but it seems that the function has been added.

Maybe they added a save option to the server I mentioned earlier?

Thank you for information.

It seems that the actual data is transferred when you press the preview in the capture window, auto guide, plate solving, auto focus, etc. (so slow)

Is it a function added together with StelarMateApp?
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by T-Studio.
1 year 2 months ago #89721

Time to create page: 0.945 seconds