INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What happened to kstars?

• Thank you received: 109

Replied by nou on topic What happened to kstars?

Alfred it seems like you build indi without "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr" once and now it use that. I think you need to delete indi files from /usr/local to get it working.

/usr/local/[bin|lib] have priority over /usr/[bin|lib]
1 year 2 months ago #89861

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic What happened to kstars?

Thanks a lot, Nou, for looking into it! I do compile indi like this: "cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo [path]" so everything should be installed in /usr once I run sudo make install, shouldn't it? As far as I can see the required files are present there. I just deleted everything related to indi in /usr/local/..., ran "make clean", re-compiled and installed Indi but KStars still complains Indi 2.0 was not present.

-- The following OPTIONAL packages have not been found:

* INDI (required version >= 2.0.0), Astronomical instrumentation control, <www.indilib.org>
Support for controlling astronomical devices on Linux with KStars.
1 year 2 months ago #89862

• Thank you received: 74
"The one in /usr/bin refers to "INDI Library: 2.0.0" whereas the one in /usr/local/bin refers to "INDI Library: 1.9.8" When I just run "indiserver" the one in /usr/local/bin is used. No idea why."
That's the standard rule in LINUX: A lookup in ''/usr/local/bin' precedes always a lookup in '/usr/bin'. (I stumbled many times upon this peculiarity.) So You have to erase the corresponding files 'in '/usr/local/bin' in order to activate the ones in '/usr/bin'.

"I just noticed running "cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo [path]" returns:"
What's Your path in detail?

BTW: I just managed to get things working at least for my own branch of Kstars (master commits until 9-1-2023) with new INDILib. After hours of struggling and trying - frankly speaking - I don't know why!! I'll keep trying to get to the HEAD commit of KStars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
1 year 2 months ago #89863

what does "pkg-config --cflags libindi" return?
you may forgot to delete /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/libindi.pc or /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/libindi.pc

check install_manifest.txt in your indi build directory. this script will convert it to /usr/local and then check if that path exists so you can delete any lingering files
f=$(sed 's/^\/usr/\/usr\/local/' < install_manifest.txt)
for i in $f; do if [ -e $i ]; then echo "$i exists"; fi done
1 year 2 months ago #89871

• Thank you received: 19

Replied by fmozza on topic What happened to kstars?

I just tried your scripts and it failed on indi-3rdparty bits. I attached the last part of the output. The indi core part succeeded.

Here's the system I am attempting to build it on:

$ uname -a
Linux reimann 5.15.0-58-lowlatency #64-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 6 03:36:28 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
1 year 2 months ago #89874
Attachments:

"BTW: I just managed to get things working at least for my own branch of Kstars (master commits until 9-1-2023) with new INDILib. After hours of struggling and trying - frankly speaking - I don't know why!!"

I'm very familiar with that kind of feeling, Toni! :lol:

Nou, I ran your script and the output told me that all files existed.
I also checked the files you suggested, found /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/libindi.pc and deleted it.

I once again did make clean, compiled and installed indi but kstars still tells me there was no Indi2.0. I'll try the same on a differenct computer. The one I am currently working at is a Kubuntu 22.04, updated from 20.04 and I suspect that a clean 22.04 system could possibly perform in a more friendly way.

And it turns out my suspicion was correct. Everything compiles correctly on a clean 22.04 system and the Indi/Ekos icons are visible. But it still doesn't work here. I'd really like to find out what goes wrong...
1 year 2 months ago #89877

Alfred if they exists then that is problem. You have outdated version of indi in /usr/local. So run this snippet to delete all these files and then "make install" again
sed 's/^\/usr/\/usr\/local/' < install_manifest.txt | sudo xargs rm

fmozza: you have most likely same problem. run this snippet in build-indi directory to check if you have files in /usr/local. If you do have then delete them with command above this.
f=$(sed 's/^\/usr/\/usr\/local/' < install_manifest.txt)
for i in $f; do if [ -e $i ]; then echo "$i exists"; fi done
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by nou.
1 year 2 months ago #89879

Nou, I ran your script and it shows that none of the files exist. There are no Indi-files in /usr/local anymore.

I once again did make clean, git pull, run "cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo ../.", make, sudo make install. No errors.

I then go to kstars, make clean, git pull, run cmake. What I get now is this:

-- Found KF5: success (found suitable version "5.92.0", minimum required is "5.68.0") found components: NotifyConfig
-- Found KF5: success (found suitable version "5.92.0", minimum required is "5.68.0") found components: Config Crash DocTools WidgetsAddons NewStuff I18n KIO XmlGui Plotting Notifications
-- Found CFITSIO: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcfitsio.so
CMake Error at cmake/modules/FindINDI.cmake:22 (file):
file failed to open for reading (No such file or directory):

/usr/local/include/libindi/indiapi.h
Call Stack (most recent call first):
cmake/modules/FindINDI.cmake:62 (_INDI_check_version)
CMakeLists.txt:194 (find_package)

CMake Error at cmake/modules/FindINDI.cmake:22 (file):
file failed to open for reading (No such file or directory):

/usr/local/include/libindi/indiapi.h
Call Stack (most recent call first):
cmake/modules/FindINDI.cmake:153 (_INDI_check_version)
CMakeLists.txt:194 (find_package)

-- Found INDI: /usr/local/lib/libindiclient.a, /usr/local/include/libindi

However,

trifid@XPC-SH87R:~/Astro/kstars/build$ ls /usr/local/lib
libraw.a libraw_r.a libraw_r.so libraw_r.so.20.0.0 libraw.so.20 pkgconfig python3.10
libraw.la libraw_r.la libraw_r.so.20 libraw.so libraw.so.20.0.0 python2.7
trifid@XPC-SH87R:~/Astro/kstars/build$ ls /usr/local/include
libraw
trifid@XPC-SH87R:~/Astro/kstars/build$

I'm wondering how can cmake find files that are non-existent?
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Alfred.
1 year 2 months ago #89884

Try to delete build directory entirely and recreate. Because CMake cache some things so make clean is not enough sometime. If that doesn't help then I am out of ideas.
1 year 2 months ago #89890

That's what I did yesterday. I deleted all indi and kstars directories (source and build), re-booted computer, did a fresh git clone, compiled, etc. No joy.
1 year 2 months ago #89891

What I really don't understand: Why does the cmake script return "-- Found INDI: /usr/local/lib/libindiclient.a, /usr/local/include/libindi " when in fact these files do not exist?
I suspect in the end it will turn out to be another embarrassing user error like it is regularly the case here.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Alfred.
1 year 2 months ago #89892

• Thank you received: 565

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic What happened to kstars?

Alfred, if you message me, perhaps we can set up a time to zoom and I could look and see if I could get cmake it to work for you.
Hy
1 year 2 months ago #89898

Time to create page: 0.883 seconds