INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guiding - Calibration failing

• Thank you received: 370
Right, we need somebody with EQ mount knowledge to take a closer look at the low level INDI commands.

Meanwhile, you could also give PHD2 a try. Maybe PHD2 works with your INDI setup.
1 year 1 month ago #90936

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19
Hello,
I have also some issue with V3.6.3.
The setup: iOptron GEM28, finder 9*50 with a Player One M-Ceres.

The calibration fails with the internal guider or PHD2, made on the equator, with guiding by the mount. I try with ST4 connection, no issue !
I would prefer to guide by impulse to the mount instead by ST4.
Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by MORELLI.
1 year 3 weeks ago #91067

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Alex on topic Guiding - Calibration failing

Hi Guys,

have tried guiding with PHD2 and result is the same behavior. The calibration fails and I los the guidingstar.

Have also tried it several times with ST4 but no change.
1 year 3 weeks ago #91141

• Thank you received: 9
I have an HEQ5 Pro mount and saw similar if I skipped accurate polar alignment. Did you do that as part of setup?

I also run the box in your guide setup at 32, not 128. Just big enough to cover the guide star.

I'd change your guide train to secondary. My trains are set up as below:

Last edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by Damian.
1 year 3 weeks ago #91150
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 31
I have not used the internal guider for 2+ years. But last night I had an hour or so before clouds and was trying a new configuration of scope/camera so I made an internal guider profile (to save the time of also setting up a new PHD2 profile). This is with a CEM40. Slewed to near the equator and tried to calibrate guiding. I got something quite similar to the original post.

where the mount wandered about a bit before showing any RA movement and then, in the "return" phase it kept going in the same direction.

So I did take the time to make a new PHD2 profile, and all worked normally.

In Ekos I left everything at the default values, but perhaps there is a default that is not sensible?

This isn't anything I am going to investigate, as I am happy to keep using PHD2. But I post it here in case it is a useful data point.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91183
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 559
Can you post a picture of the internal guider's calibration settings (in the guide menu --> calibration)?
1 year 2 weeks ago #91184

Not much to see here, I don't think.

The thought crossed my mind that I might not have changed the weird default of a 0.1x reducer in the optical train, but clearly that was not the case. (I do hope that gets fixed at some point)
1 year 2 weeks ago #91188
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 559
Right. Sorry, I don't know why your reverse RA is not working.

...except that I just noticed you seem like you're set up for ST4 guiding. Is that intentional? You should really have your mount listed as the guider

Do things improve if you change the "Guider" in your optical train from the QHY CCD to the iOptron mount?

For the future, if/when this problem gets solved I would suggest more than 3 max iterations (e.g. 10) and more max-move pixels (e.g. 25).
Your PHD2 calibration plot shows that it used 12 iterations and >25 pixels out.

If the above doesn't fix things and you want to debug more, you might try other parts of the sky to see if it is somehow related to telescope weighting. Also, you might see what "Calibration step-size" PHD2 is using, which is probably the equivalent to the "Pulse" input to the Ekos guider, and try that. However, 1000ms seems reasonably long to me, so I'd be surprise if you needed more. On the main Guider page, please make sure that all the direction boxes are checked, and that the telescope specs seem reasonable

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ron DeBry
1 year 2 weeks ago #91190
Attachments:

Thanks, Hy. The "guider" probably is the issue in my case. As I said, I rushed a new profile to try to get some testing in the window I had. It would be helpful if the "guider" options said something like (ST4) QHY5iii462C vs (pulse) CEM40, but that might not be practical the given way those fields are populated internally.

As for the rest - I simply left them at the default and figured I'd adjust if something seemed off - but I wasn't prepared for how very off it turned out. So I went back to PHD2.
1 year 2 weeks ago #91191

Time to create page: 0.943 seconds