INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

I took 2 screenshots, an hour apart. What a difference.

• Thank you received: 4
Firstly, I want to pay respect to Jasem and his Team. KStars has come a long way from the first time I used it 5 years ago.Last year Western Australia's south west was very cloudy and from June on there were clouds and more clouds so I never traveled to clear skies. In late December I got clear skies, but had overwhelming connection problems with Indie. It was so bad that I gave up photography to try and troubleshoot the issues. Enter Nightly Builds where I still regularly had connection issues for a few months. It seemed that everybody was happy except me.
Hy Murveit, bless him, undertook to give me a tour of what changes I could make to EKOS parameters to fine tune my experience and I will never forget the time he gave me as he was already ill with Covid, then I got sick with Influenza and Covid on top so I had a forced 3 weeks in bed that changed my thinking.

Picture 1 is with a remote headless 64bit RPi 4B-4G and fully upgraded StellarMate
Picture 2 is also with a remote and headless 32 bit RPi 3B and 32bit StellarMate and it works just like it used to...
None of the issues with the 64bit RPi seem to show on logs, but are visible on the analysis screen.
I hope this info helps someone
Thanks again for KStars... Len
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
11 months 4 weeks ago #91546
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

In my setup ASI120 and RPI4 B don't work properly together (USB issues) and that would explain the difference.
With PRI3 I didn't have this problems. Please check is you get large delays or even timeout errors from the guiding camera. If yes, USB interface is probably the root cause. In my setup ASI120-S works properly with RPI4 B.
11 months 4 weeks ago #91550

• Thank you received: 5
Len,

I am fairly new to Ekos and haven't been following its history. Are you saying that the latest 64-bit StellarMate has guiding issues and you had to drop back to the 32-bit version to get it to work? I Just upgraded to 64-bit because the 32 bit didn't work with my ASI220MM guide camera.

I'm a rank newbie when it comes to guiding and am trying to figure things out. My first attempt with it had some successes but mostly failures. After doing some reading I think I have ideas about how to change some of the guiding parameters to make things better (exposures too short and aggressively too great).

I am also using a Losmandy Gemini-II mount. If you could share what seems to work well for you, I would greatly appreciate it. If you are willing to do so, you can message me privately so as not to clutter up this forum.

Thanks,
Bill
11 months 3 weeks ago #91562

• Thank you received: 420

It is well known that the ASI120MM/MC (USB2) cameras don't work well with modern operating systems. You need to use ASI120MM/MC-S (USB) cameras, which work well.

HTH, Wouter
11 months 3 weeks ago #91565

Hello Wouter,
I understand the issue and thankfully all my ZWO's are USB-3's (MM/MC-S) but I have a question.
Does indie have a preference for the ASI USB-3 software upgrade and does it make any difference? I am only curious because I have never read any reports from those who have upgraded.
Last year I had issues with 2 x ZWO cameras, One for imaging and one for guiding. My error was to load two drivers but since then I have only had Ekos Maths issues. e.g. My SQM showed a clear and constant sky reading, Ekos did not. Fortunately Jasem addressed that very quickly for me.
Len
11 months 3 weeks ago #91566

• Thank you received: 420
Hi Len,

INDI uses the native Linux and macOS drivers from ZWO, which are designed to support all ZWO cameras, filter wheels and the focuser. If any problems connecting to ZWO hardware are seen then it most certainly is due to those drivers. I believe a few months ago there were driver issues which ZWO fortunately solved quickly.

The USB2 issues I mentioned above are not ZWO driver or INDI software issues but firmware issues in the camera. That firmware doesn't implement the USB2 standard correctly which causes issues using them on all modern operating systems since all of them enforce the correct use of the USB2 protocol now..ZWO have published a patch for those cameras which never worked for me though I did read several success stories online.

Not sure if this answers your question.

Clear skies, Wouter
11 months 3 weeks ago #91567

Time to create page: 0.402 seconds