INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Help Improving 'Align' Plate Solving Success Rate

• Thank you received: 3
The OTA is a Celestron 9.25. The Camera is a Canon 1300D. Kstars is the latest version from copr.
The skys are about Bortal 7.
I am having about a 10% success rate with Plate Solving.Below is an image after a failed attempt.
The images shows stars are being captured. After the process I found a 'select stars' buttion and it only identified 2 stars. Although there are more than that in the ismage.
Is there an option to change the selecttion threshholds?
I have been stuck on this for 2 nights, any help would be fully appreciated.

10 months 2 weeks ago #92821
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
There is a lot to play with to improve plate solving success.

First. make sure the field-of-view, focal length, etc look right on the align page.
Next, look in the Options menu on the lower right of the Align page.
Often unchecking Use Position and Use Scale in the "Scale and Position" sub-tab help, if the issue is that scale and/or position are set up wrong.
If the issue is star detection, then changing the preset at the top of Align Options Profile Editor can help, and/or editing some of the preset values.

If you post a fits file captured the same way you're capturing for align (e.g. same exposure, binning, gain/iso, filter, ...) then I can try and see what options work for me and pass them back to you.

Hy
10 months 2 weeks ago #92823

I tried to post a ziped fits file but it was above the size limit. Even after zipping it is 32MB.
Is there a tutorial for the variables in 'options'?
The site here is ala Bortal 7. Even with that I am surprised the the lack of stars in the image.
10 months 2 weeks ago #92825

Upload your fits file to google drive, dropbox, or similar and then send a shared link viewable to all.

The title line in the Align Options Profiles Editor (e.g. the words "Extraction Params") are links to doc pages for SEP, which is the library used for star extraction. However, as I said, if you send me a fits I'll try and help with the parameters.

While you're at it, send screenshots all the parameters you're using (e.g. those extraction parameters, the scale & position page, the stellarsolver options page, which index files you have installed, the main align page, etc.
10 months 2 weeks ago #92826

Thank you.
First, I am looking for ways to upload a file. We have Dropbox at work. If you PM me your e-mail I will create a folder. I can't find that we have a way to create a general public folder.
Second, I cleared the fields you mentioned in options. That seemed to help a lot. The failior rate now appears to be about 50%. That allowed for scope polar alignment.
Third, I am now creating test shoot sequences. One failed in an infinite anlayize loop but other than that things are running smoothly.
Thanks again. I will createt the folder and upload the image.
10 months 2 weeks ago #92830

Dan,

I PM'd you my email address, feel free to share it with that.
FWIW, you can easily create a google gmail account and upload a file to google drive and share there too, but your dropbox will also work.

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan Sawyer
10 months 2 weeks ago #92831

Time to create page: 0.812 seconds