INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Colon in file names when timestamp is requested on Windows

• Thank you received: 9
Hi folks,

I just want notice Kstars/Ekos users who, like me, use both Windows and Linux, to disable the timestamp in files name. Indeed, on Windows, Kstars/Ekos fails to write the uploaded FITS files as soon as this feature is enabled. I suspect that the presence of the timestamp colon is the reason of that failure since the colon ':' is forbiden in the file names on Windows.

The same limitation also occurs with EkosVM on Windows host, and one wants to copy the files form EkosVM to the Windows files system host thanks to the "Shared Forlder" feature available with VirtualBox. Finaly, on Linux hosts, even if you can write files with colon in their names on NTFS files system (internal HD or usb HD), you won't be able to read them once on Windows .

If you forgot to disable the timestamp in files name, you can still override this limitation, on Linux hosts, or on EkosVM, thanks to the 'find' and 'rename' command line tools. Use this command:
find ./PicturesFolder/ -type f -name '*.fit' | rename 's/:/-/'
Replace PicturesFolder by your pictures subfolder.

Hope this helps.
Sebastien
7 years 5 months ago #12104

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thanks for the note, I'll change TS on Windows
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sebastien Corot
7 years 5 months ago #12111

• Thank you received: 31
Yes, I have found the same problem when trying to transfer files to a Mac and it is definately the colon.
7 years 5 months ago #12114

I removed the colon completely under ALL OSes including linux. so it's still a timestamp but we can't call it ISO8601
7 years 5 months ago #12115

• Thank you received: 31
I think the form without the colon is still covered by ISO 8601.
7 years 5 months ago #12117

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds