INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guider Parameter docs.

• Thank you received: 5

Guider Parameter docs. was created by Gary

My guiding with Ekos is currently a little hit and miss, although I'm putting that down to a combination of polar alignment and dec motor issues. That said, there's quite a few options with the ekos guider that can be tweaked but I can't find any real documentation about what these settings do.

For example, guide speed. I'm using pulse mode guiding with an LX90 which I believe works at 0.5x sidereal in pulse mode. Should I set the guide speed box to 0.5x in that case? I noticed by default it was set to 0.100 and the label to the right says p=xxx, where as when set to 0.5x the label reads p=133.3 which matches the proportional gain entry.

What are the parameters "proportional gain", "integral gain", "derivitive gain" etc How do they alter how the guiding works?

Minimum Pulse I assume means Ekos won't send corrections until the error requires at least this minimum pulse duration to correct? Likewise "Maximum Pulse" ekos won't try to correct with a value above that ?

Does calibration need to be done only once in a session, or after slewing to a new object is another calibration run useful?

Is the "guiding delta" the arc second error that needs to be corrected overall or just based on comparing the last two images?

What is the "sig(*)" values? Is this the RMS error?

I had a search through the forum and didn't find any real answers to the above (apologies if I missed one). I also looked for information on linguider but the "official" site seems to be a source forge page with the code releases. If there's any user documentation available can someone point me in the right direction?
7 years 3 months ago #12788

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Guider Parameter docs.

There is Guide module documentation but it is out of date and I need to update it soon. I'll work on that tomorrow and post an updated version.
7 years 3 months ago #12791

• Thank you received: 5

Replied by Gary on topic Guider Parameter docs.

I read that earlier, but it didn't really cover what the parameters did or how they might impact guiding so whilst I can adjust them I'm not really sure what a higher or lower value would mean or even what range is likely to be sane.

Thanks for updating the docs I'll take a look when you're done :)
7 years 3 months ago #12798

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Guider Parameter docs.

It's been updated today along with some tooltips in Ekos.
7 years 3 months ago #12820

Time to create page: 0.755 seconds