INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos Polar Alignment Assistant (Beta) is here!

• Thank you received: 53
Only if you can't use your imaging cam with the auto guider. In that case you'd need to use the all plate solving approach. You need to plate solve on whatever scope was used to determine the centre of rotation. When I'm done testing I'll open another thread so we don't distract from the beta.
7 years 1 month ago #14629
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 0
I am also a new arrival on the PoleMaster Bandwagon. I just got mine and I've tried unsuccessfully to bring it up on a Windows VM under Ubuntu host. I love the concept, and I think QHY has done a nice job with the mechanics of this device, but I so badly want to see it working under the IDNI / Ekos umbrella. On the QHY forum, I saw a QHY support person make an offer of USB protocol documents, and I tried to sign up on their forum but couldn't get by the stupid sensor questions in their spam blocker (Argh!).

I will try again to get onto QHY's forum to add my voice to the outcry for INDI support.
7 years 1 month ago #14682
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Pontius

The sensor questions in their spam blocker, can be a bit tricky, especially if you get one of them wrong... then the site won't let you complete even after you've corrected the error... unless you reload the page... It must be an error in the webserver...
7 years 1 month ago #14684
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, Anders. Yeah I was trying to register using my phone browser and it kept kicking me out, so I went back in later on my PC and got registered. Then I found the posting that Qui had done back in December offering USB protocol details to developers who are willing to sign the NDA. So I requested the info. Like I said, I think it's a really smart mechanical solution and I'd love to see it supported under INDI / Ekos.
7 years 1 month ago #14691
  • Thank you received: 51
A silly idea.
I wonder if it could be possible to have a blind polar alignment using sound.
Let me explain. If I have no screen near the mount, situation that could happen when in remote.
After running the AP till the end at home,
I move to the mount,
To perform the correction, without screen, I listen to the sound given by a speaker plugged in the Pi, if I I walk away the target the speaker gives beeps which frequency decrease with increasing distance to the target, on the other hand beeps frequency increase when approaching the target and the sound get uninterrupted when the target is within an acceptable distance.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Patrick.
7 years 1 month ago #14868
  • Thank you received: 375
Sounds like a good idea but difficult to implement. This would require not only loop-capturing images but also loop-resolving them. Both take significant time so sound feedback might include material lagtime. Anyway I would use it if it's feasible to implement it.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Radek Kaczorek.
7 years 1 month ago #14870
  • Thank you received: 3
Dear Jasem,

I've been away from the forum for a while and just returned to see that you already made an Ekos Polar Alignment Assistant. This is really impressive and I'd like to thank you for all your effort! This will make a big difference for me!! I will report back as soon as I can test the tool under the stars.

Best wishes
Stephan
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Pepe.
7 years 3 weeks ago #14892
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi,

Just a little feedback about this tool. I made my polar alignment using this assistant. Everything works fine and it seems to be accurate. I've done 900s exposure frame without problem.
However, I didn't check the accuracy with another tool but to me it seems to be good :cheer: .

The tool is very simple to use, it's like using the PoleMaster software.

Great job !!

Davy
7 years 3 weeks ago #14931
  • Thank you received: 32
Just wanted to say I finally had some clear skies to test this one and I'm OVER THE MOON about how nice it is! 16 arc-seconds off in under 5 minutes. My hat is off to you Jasem, you're awesome.
7 years 1 week ago #15250
  • Thank you received: 87
Just to report on tonight alignment. I have put the mount very close to the NCP and tested the wizard and it worked very well indeed!
BUT if the mount is not close enough to the pole and it asks to move the mount, it always detects the NCP on the wrong side of URSA MINOR. It does capture and solve the images correctly but moves to the wrong direction (inverted). Anyone having this issue????
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by nMAC.
7 years 1 week ago #15260
  • Thank you received: 32
Not sure if I had the same, but I indeed did get a message that the NCP wasn't in view (while I must have been very close) and when I gave permission to move the mount it went too far and I cancelled it. I redid it, ignored the message and all went fine anyway.
7 years 1 week ago #15261

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
I will check this out on my mount and see if I can reproduce it. Thanks for the report.

Can someone also try to verify the results by using another method to double check? It doesn't appear that anyone check their results with another method thus far.
Last edit: 7 years 1 week ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
7 years 1 week ago #15264
Time to create page: 1.060 seconds