INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Frame outline of solved image on sky map has wrong rotation

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

It seems that the frame outline that ekos paints on kstars sky map when you solve an image using astrometry has wrong rotation.

This is the fits image, flipped H and V (to match sky map) because I use a newtonian.

And this is the solved image. Note that the center is spot on, but the rotation is wrong.

WCS rotation is reported as -33.87 degrees.

Version is from git, compiled yesterday.

More tests? Any ideas?

Kind regards.
6 years 5 months ago #20161
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Link to the captured FITS file without any modifications? Longitude/Latitude of your location?
6 years 5 months ago #20164

Here it is (attached in a tar.bz2). Note that this is not exactly the correspondig fits of the previous images (as I've shot it again), but it's very very close.

Here is my position (it's approximate, as this is a public forum, but it should be close enough to do calculations):

Lat:
40:38:30

Lon:
356:02:30
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
6 years 5 months ago #20167
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 109
Do you have a rotator? I do not, but this is when I noticed it start too. I mentioned something on here, but failed to follow up on it. When I loaded the first version that supported the rotator, it loaded with some weird rotated angle by default, even without a rotator device. I set it to 0, but the solver doesn't seem to reflect it correctly in kstars, as you are seeing. Everything else still works, so that is probably why it didn't bother me a lot.
6 years 5 months ago #20169

Thanks. So WCS rotation is different from PA by 180 degrees exactly. Maybe because WCS reads FITS from "Bottom to up"? At any rate, I fixed the issue, but need to further verify this later tonight in my observatory, especially with the rotator function.
6 years 5 months ago #20171

I remember flipping the image of the first post in H and V in the integrated fits viewer to match the sky map, which is equivalent to a 180º rotation (IIRC) but now, taking a look at the fits file with an external viewer I just have to flip H (exchange left to right) to match the rotation of the sky map. This is weird.

Anyway, after flipping in H, I've been visually matching the two images in gimp and the difference in rotation is about 65 degrees between them.
6 years 5 months ago #20191

No, no rotator in my case.
6 years 5 months ago #20192

It's all fixed in GIT and I just made a video about it tonight (not published yet), so the next KStars release should have this fix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eric, Teseo, Jim, Guillem
6 years 5 months ago #20196

Time to create page: 0.649 seconds