INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

fitsviewr does not save debayered file

• Thank you received: 94
Hi everyone
Load a fits file into kstars and hit debayer > Save as The original (non-debayered) file is saved.
Check: the correctly debayered file using another app is around 3x larger than the original.
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Steve
5 years 8 months ago #27923

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 812
Yes,

KStars is meant to be a data acquisition tool not a processing tool. So debayering can be done for viewing purposes so you can inspect your data as its coming in, but it would be very bad if KStars saved a debayered image when you are collecting your data. As you pointed out the debayered image is 3 times the size for one thing. But more importantly, images should be calibrated with darks, flats, and biases before debayering them for real. I mean a feature, menu item, button, or option could be added that could save the processed image, but I would really hate for somebody to accidentally save their images that way and basically lose a whole nights worth of data.

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 8 months ago #27932

Hi. Ah, OK.
Probably a better question would be is there an app to be able to view fits images as thumbnails, e.g. a file manager image gallery view...
Cheers and clear skies,
5 years 8 months ago #27933

• Thank you received: 812
If you have a Mac, there is a Quicklook plugin you can install. you just click on the image file and hit the spacebar and you can immediately see a preview image. I'm not sure if there is something similar for Linux.
5 years 8 months ago #27936

Yes, KDE's Dolphin natively supports FITS file along with KDE's Gwenview program.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon, alacant
5 years 8 months ago #27950

Thanks
Works well. Recommended:
5 years 8 months ago #27954
Attachments:

Thanks to Csaba who developed the support behind this!
5 years 8 months ago #27955

• Thank you received: 182
Gwenview does not support FITS files on Ubuntu 16.04. Are there any plugins I can install for it to work and where would I find them?
5 years 8 months ago #27964

You can if you install KDE Neon 16.04... but since that project is also moving to 18.04, it seems the best option is to upgrade.
5 years 8 months ago #27966

Time to create page: 0.545 seconds