INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What happens to guiding when main camera image is downloading?

• Thank you received: 66
... Is the guide image given priority. I saw a problem a while ago where the main camera image download put the guider out of loop until done. How was that fixed? Also, I get the feeling that dithering remedies this since I think the guiding basically stops between images and restarts again. Is this true?

Thanks
5 years 6 months ago #29879

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 29
Funny you are bringing this up - this is something I observed last night...
5 years 6 months ago #29880

There is an issue if you are using the same driver for both cameras (like ZWO for example), but for different cameras, it shouldn't be a problem unless the communication between INDI Server and the client is _really_ slow. For the former issue (same driver), I'm working on a solution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg
5 years 6 months ago #29882

• Thank you received: 66
Doesn’t StellarMate’s wifi link fall into the category of slow? I think the guide camera needs to be given priority.

What about when dithering is turned on?
5 years 6 months ago #29887

Ok so I implemented a solution by dedicating multiple clients to image data separate from message data. This should be nightly in a couple of hours. Please test. It's still highly experimental.
5 years 6 months ago #29896

• Thank you received: 301
This reminds me of the subframe issue on V4L2 CCDs that has been on my list for a while... Not related to big uploads not chunked, but certainly a bandwidth optimization.

-Eric
5 years 6 months ago #29897

• Thank you received: 1
I just got my new RPI setup, updated and tested the two ZWO cameras and issue remains. Guide camera stops responding while primary cam downloads. Cameras: ASI071MC Pro, guide cam ASI290 mini. This is with RPI running as Indi server over WiFi with KStars and Ekos running on my Microsoft surface. As previously tested, if I have the ASI071 save “local” only the issue is resolved, but I no longer get my images on the surface.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg
5 years 6 months ago #29920

Yesterday I test with simulators, today I will test with actual hardware to see if I can see the issue. Make sure you have KStars v3.0.0 from Nightly PPA.
5 years 6 months ago #29923

• Thank you received: 161
sorry... ignore

can I delete my own messages?
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 6 months ago #29929

The next nightly build supports asynchronous FITS loading which should hopefully alleviate this issue. So far, two significant changes in v3.0.0 were made to fix this:
1. Separate threaded clients per BLOB. Since INDI sends ~50kb per client in each loop to avoid blocking traffic, the guide camera frame should be able to get through since a different client is listening to it. This has been implemented already.
2. Loading of large FITS file in the single main GUI thread can cause the main GUI to be "blocked" until the loading is complete. On slower machines with limited RAM this could be an issue that leads to guiding performance issues.

So hopefully with these two changes, the situation will become better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
5 years 5 months ago #30022

• Thank you received: 1
I’m jumping on a plane now to head home, I’ll give this a try first thing in the morning! Question - do I need to test this running locally on stellarmate, or will the updates work with me running stellarmate as the server and my windows 10 surface as the client running the the latest windows release of Kstars? Also, you mention possible RAM issues with the client, my surface has 4gig, is that sufficient? I will post as soon as testing is complete.
5 years 5 months ago #30030

Yes you can try on Windows just fine.
5 years 5 months ago #30033

Time to create page: 0.716 seconds