INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars FITS viewer save is lossy

• Thank you received: 2
This is a continuation of my two previous posts with new data. Hope I'm not too pesky.

Last night I was trying to capture Struve 2797 in Peg on camera. As before, I needed to reduce exposure time to split A and B. I succeeded according the Kstars FITS viewer preview. But the preview was saved to file, the star disappeared.

Attached are two screenshots.

One of the Kstars FITS viewer preview. The split is not visible here as clouds rolled in while I was working this image, but you can clearly see the star above the noise.

The other screenshot shows the saved file in the same viewer. Nothing there. Nada.

I'll attach the FITS header as well.

Is this a bug? I don't see anything related in the bug tracker, but I don't see much activity there either.

I also observed the following related behavior. I was photographing M15 just before Struve 2797. The FITS viewer would present the image that was exposed for 1 second and saved in 8 bit format. Very low dynamic range but visible nonetheless. Then when the exposure was reduced to .2", the saved image was completely blank. However, when the same exposure was saved in 16 bit format, a visible image was recorded. This was why I was saving the STT 2797 in 16 bit format. But even then the image was lost at very short exposures.
5 years 4 months ago #31538
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 31
Are you sure this isn't just a stretched image compared with a non stretched image?
Paul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Copper
5 years 4 months ago #31544

• Thank you received: 2
Your suspicion is correct. The image is clearly there. See attached screenshot. Thank you very much.
5 years 4 months ago #31546
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.660 seconds