INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos and Device not in kstars tool menu

• Thank you received: 1
Hello

I picked up a Rock Pi 4Rock Pi 4 to run Ekos. The only desktop linux distribution available is Debian, so I'm trying to build indilib and kstars from source to get it up and running.

I've got kstars built and installed but my issue is that 'Ekos' and 'Device' are not appearing in the 'Tools' menu. Also, the INDI toolbar is empty. My issue sounds very similar to the one reported by Robert in this thread. . However, I"m not able to see what the ultimate solution in that case was.

I believe I have followed the directions appropriately. It's a fresh install of Debian with libindi and kstars installed to ~/Projects as per the directions from Jasem found here. . (and in the README from GitHub for the 3rd party drivers).

After having this issue on the Rock Pi, I installed a Debian 9.6 VM on my laptop to see if I could get Ekos working properly on an x86/amd64 system. However, that process had the same outcome -- kstars installed and loaded but without Ekos or Device in the Tools menu and an empty INDI toolbar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Let me know if more information is needed to figure out what I did wrong :P

Best regards
Matt
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Matt.
5 years 3 months ago #32221

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just to add, because it's probably obvious that I've never compiled a program from source before...

I think building from source is my only option here. My first choice obviously would have been to run Ubuntu and instalI from the repository. I did try to install one of the available Ubuntu builds floating around the internet for the RK3399 boards, but I couldn't get any of them to boot on the Rock Pi 4.
5 years 3 months ago #32222

Make sure INDI is installed fine. If you run cmake for KStars, it would tell you if it detected INDI or not. INDI is optional for KStars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt
5 years 3 months ago #32228

Thanks Jasem, you are correct. This is the (partial) output from cmake for kstars:
-- The following RUNTIME packages have not been found:

* AstrometryNet , Astrometrics Library , <http://www.astrometry.net>
   Support for plate solving in KStars.

-- The following OPTIONAL packages have not been found:

* INDI (required version >= 1.7.1) , Astronomical instrumentation control , <http://www.indilib.org>
   Support for controlling astronomical devices on Linux with KStars.
 * Qt5DataVisualization
 * OpenGL , Open Graphics Library , <http://www.opengl.org>
   Support for hardware rendering in KStars.

-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
CMake Warning:
  Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

CMAKE_INSTALL_PEFIX

I’ve followed the steps for building and compiling INDI at the beginning of your ‘How To’ post that I linked earlier. Is there an obvious step I am not performing correctly?

Thanks!
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Matt.
5 years 3 months ago #32242

CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX

Make sure you use this even with INDI installation. Looks like you misspelled it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt
5 years 3 months ago #32243

Thanks Jasem!! You are spot on - after re-running cmake for Indi then rebuilding kstars, it seems to be corrected!

Much appreciated!
5 years 3 months ago #32248
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds