INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars Mac DMG 3.0.0 beta testing needed

• Thank you received: 139
Looks like the 3.0 final is working much better. I still have the issue of it no longer responding when you press stop on the summary tab. But it's able to complete sequences with no issue now. I'm running a sequence over night through the scheduler and will see if anything else pops up.

Thanks for all your work! The new fits viewer is fantastic. Love having all the data next to the image. I've not checked out the additions to KStars yet, but really happy with this release so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 3 months ago #32918

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Sounds great! Yeah, there actually is a reason for getting the panel on the side beyond just having the information at your fingertips. It is the first step in something that I wrote back in February and got working on my computer, but never got completed. One of the tabs in the side panel was supposed to be a live processing panel which includes live stacking. I would still like to include that, but it will require a lot of time that I haven't had recently. Maybe there will be some time over the holidays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
5 years 3 months ago #32919

• Thank you received: 223
5 years 3 months ago #32941

Hmm that is definitely odd. We should check it out. Although to be honest I’m not sure why you would want to use the remote solver on the pi when in fact you have a much more powerful Mac running kstars with a great internal solver built in.

But yes we should make sure this works just in case somebody wants to use it for some reason.
5 years 3 months ago #32942

It is much more important that the remote solver works for people using windows. Is this problem only on the Mac version?
5 years 3 months ago #32943

I only have Mac stuff, no idea about the Windows...
Not running a PI, I never actually made any speed comparison in terms of solve as in local VS remote VS online.
5 years 3 months ago #32944

Local is by far the fastest.

When I said pi, I mean any SBC really.
5 years 3 months ago #32945

OK, I'll keep the Astrometry on the server for testing, but I'll switch to 'local' from now on.
Oh it's still raining here, 3 more nights to go until I'm off home... :S
5 years 3 months ago #32946

• Thank you received: 20
These are my notes of a fresh install of 3.0 on a 2016 MBP running 10.14 (Mojave). By fresh I mean I removed the prior semi-operable 2.9 version of kstars per the quickstart doc in the dmg, including all config files and directories.

- Starts up, give 1st time config dialog.
- Copy kstars directory to Application Support. Main window launches.
- Start GSC download, begins progressing.... didn't wait for it to finish
- Clicked Next, set location to my location. Clicked OK - CRASH (see attached output)
- restart - error "Unable to find INDI Drivers directory: /usr/local/share/indi. Please make sure to set the correct path in KStars configuration". Application otherwise starts and 1st time config dialog re-appears
- Get to location selection, click OK - CRASH.
- Restart, skip GSC download, set location - worked.
- Go into Ekos, attempt to configure indi devices - none available (presumably no drivers)
- Find the drivers located at /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/indi
- Go into Preferences->INDI to set this. As soon as I check the box to the left of the path the path changes to **Internal INDI Server**
- XML directory is blank - on clicking the box to the left of it it changes to **Internal INDI Drivers**
- Astrometry gives a missing or corrupt error, showing the location to be /usr/local/etc/astrometry.cfg. Confirmed this does not exist.
- Found astrometry.cfg in /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin, but I can't seem to set this in Ekos. I also can't reset to defaults - it's greyed out.

I never got GSC to download, not sure how to get it to do that once things are set up.

- Greg
5 years 2 months ago #33551

Yes , there were some important things that should happen in the setup steps. Sorry you had a crash that prevented the setup from completing successfully. You don't need to install GSC, but it can be very nice for using simulators to get fake stars so you can run a full Ekos session without being connected to real equipment. But the other startup steps are critical. In those steps some initial parameters get set and files get copied.

Yes you should have the boxes to the left of each of the items checked to use the internal INDI drivers, internal INDI server, internal Astrometry, and internal XPlanet. Unless you have a home-brew installation on your computer where you installed all of these things. That is not common. You don't need to type the paths if you are using the internal stuff because the paths are fixed inside the app bundle.

If you want to install GSC Later, you can go to the menu "Settings" and select "Startup Wizard"

For Astrometry, if you go to the Align module in Ekos and click "Options" at the bottom right, you can get into the settings to set them to the internal astrometry solver and internal config file just like you set the other things in preferences. Because you didn't get through the whole setup successfully, you might need to manually create the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Astrometry and you might need to edit the Astrometry.cfg file so that it uses that location.

Does this help?
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Rob Lancaster.
5 years 2 months ago #33552
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 20
Yep - that got it done. Thanks! I see astrometry.cfg defaulted to a homebrew location for the indices, which I did not have installed. I created the folder similar to your example and all is well.

Before getting the Astrometry part done I did some very basic imaging which amounted to mainly camera control using a Sony A7S via the indi Gphoto driver. Things pretty much just worked. I did notice that live view did not work. I seem to recall it working in the past but its been almost a year since I used that feature so the details of what might have been different escape me.

Anyway, hopefully the report helps and thanks for the fast feedback and effort on the whole thing!

- Greg
5 years 2 months ago #33554

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds