INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars crashes

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Guillem on topic Kstars crashes

Hi,

I had similar problems ... follow this link

Tips: disable FITS viewer , and zram ..., I also update to Kstars 3.1 ... ( sudo apt-get update , sudo apt-get upgrade ...)

All the problems were on the raspberry ( doing all the hard work ). On my laptop with ubuntu 18.04 Kstars, never crashed...

This QT messages in the logs, may get confussion.

good luck and clear skies

Guillem
5 years 2 months ago #33963

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Antonio Soffici on topic Kstars crashes

Guillem, I'm too much of an informatics caveman to use Ubuntu or anything Linux.
I'm on a Mac and we're still on 3.0.0
5 years 2 months ago #33964

• Thank you received: 1

Replied by Guillem on topic Kstars crashes

So, you may have some options:

1- send system logs to the MAC OS people... who knows if they can help...
2- Use you mac only for remote desktop, raspberry will do all the job ( I know it can ;-) )
3- Do more tests, and share information is this forum...
4- Once, I send some logs to KDE developpers ...
5- try to update Kstars to 3.1

good luck
Clear Skies

Guillem
5 years 2 months ago #33965

• Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Kstars crashes

Guillem, we are the KStars developers. Unless the problem is from some other KDE program, we are the ones to talk to. There is no 3.1 for Mac OS yet because I haven't built the 3.1 DMG yet because I had an issue last week with the build. The build issue is not with KStars but with Craft and QT. I sent a message to the KDE folks about the issue and I am waiting for a response. I would not recommend sending a message to Apple, because they don't send them to us. It really doesn't do anything to help. But yes, the best idea is to post whatever information you find on this forum so I can look into it.

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 2 months ago #33969

Antonio,

I took a closer look at your lldb log. This prints A LOT:

File "<string>", line 1, in <module> NameError: name 'run_one_line' is not defined Traceback (most recent call last)

Mine definitely does not do that. I did a google search for this and everybody seems to say that this is a python error. I found this result, and they have a possible solution for that at the bottom: github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/issues/2712

You can try that solution and see if it works. Maybe it will just prevent that from printing in the log so much, but if that error is occurring that much, it could explain the speed problem

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 2 months ago #33972

Hi Rob,
yes, I noticed that print too.
Went to the page you linked me to, did the first two steps of the troubleshooting.
brew update
brew doctor
Results attached
I'm weary of going further forward, ad I see a sudo command and I know those can bypass MacOS safeties and do damage
Do you suggest I keep going?
Thanks
Antonio

File Attachment:

File Name: Homebrewtr...ting.txt
File Size:9 KB
5 years 2 months ago #33979
Attachments:

Hi Rob,
after reading more carefully what you wrote, I jumped directly to the fix they propose at the bottom of the page you linked me to.
Did:
pip install six
easy_install six
Then restarted KStars via the terminal
The issue about that line printing a lot is now gone, but Kstars is still sluggish and the computer freezes as described in previous posts.
I've tried a simple sequence with the simulators and it did not crash, but I'm still very worried about it crashing on me with real equipment connected.
Logs are attached (unfortunately I've been stupid enough not to save the log relative to six installation...)
Let me know you r thoughts
Cheers
Antonio

File Attachment:

File Name: KStarsstil...gish.txt
File Size:243 KB
5 years 2 months ago #33994
Attachments:

Yeah, I suspected that it might not be the issue, but I thought it would certainly be helpful to get those messages out of the log so we can see what is going on. It was worth a shot.
5 years 2 months ago #33998

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Craig on topic Kstars crashes

I've also seen this issue with the Mac Version of EKOS v3. Various things see to set off.

What version of Kstars/EKOS is in StellarMate firmware v1.3.1?
Is there going to be a v3.1 version of the Mac version anytime soon, this could be my issue. The version on the StellarMate itself seems to remain running, but it has other issues right now too, like EQMOD mount control (issue raised in another thread)

I only have v1.3 and would like to get a copy of this if possible please as I found v2.9.8 on the Mac and StellarMate to be pretty reliable and I'd like move back to while there are still reliability issues with v3.x

Thanks, Craig
5 years 2 months ago #34001

Yes that is perfectly fine. Two versions of KStars can coexist on your Mac at the same time.

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 2 months ago #34005

Hello Rob,
your last post prompted me to try and use KStars 2.9.8, which I had zipped before installing 3.0.0.
Guess what? No sluggish behaviour whatsoever.
Therefore my guess something has been broken when making 3.0.0.
I don't remember why I switched to 2.9.8, but I reckon it was something to do with flat fields not being captured as flats in 2.9.8, but I wouldn't bet my eyes on it.
May this help?
Cheers
Antonio
5 years 2 months ago #34094

Antonio,

That sounds good, KStars 2.9.8 does work very well on Macs. There could be something wrong with 3.0.0, at least for your machine. I am currently using 3.0.0 and the only problem I think I currently have is the strange qt resolution bug that you mentioned with the Star Profile Viewer. I hope to look into this in the near future, possibly this weekend to see if I can't get 3.1 to build. Hopefully if I can produce a new DMG it won't have the same issues for you. But for now, yes 2.9.8 should be fine. I used that one for months.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Antonio Soffici
5 years 2 months ago #34100

Time to create page: 0.881 seconds