INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Bahtinov Mask Assistant Tool

• Thank you received: 27
Hi all,

I have finally finished the implementation of the Bahtinov Mask Focus Assistant in KStars/EKOS.
It is currently (April 2020) in review and I hope it will be integrated in the official KStars software soon.
At this moment you can get the latest version of the Bahtinov Mask Focus Assistant from my forked KDE/kstars branch: github.com/prmolenaar/kstars
Just take the master branch, build it and you have the Bahtinov Mask Focus Assistant in kStars.
Good luck and have fun testing it.
Let me know if you need some adjustments, then I can pick that up.

Best regards and clear skies!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
3 years 11 months ago #52222

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

I see it, but could you provide some more steps in out to get this? What to download, command lines to build? I know... if I don't know this then I pretty much should stay away.

I'm really looking forward to this feature.
1. At this time what I do, it put the mask on, select the filter I want (normally starting at the top)
2. Take a quick 5 second shot, (that loads the filter and the focuser moves to the previous night's position)
3. Click the video icon, move the video panel to the side
4. Enter the Focuser Module, make my adjustments, once the mask is correct I enter that value in a spreadsheet that calculates the offset that I enter into the "Funnel" icon.
5. I do that for each filter.

Oh and then I forget to take off that mask when I align (haha, yeah it happens more than it should) :P

I'll make a little video tonight showing the actions.
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by David Tate.
3 years 11 months ago #52232

• Thank you received: 420
Have a look at the github page. It contains all the build instructions you need. Also, there is a README file in the root dir of the git clone which contains the same instructions.

Thanks @AstroRunner. I'll have a look as soon as possible.

Wouter
3 years 11 months ago #52235

• Thank you received: 7
Hello AstroRunner, git-built your Bahtinov build to test on a RP4-4g. I used my Canon 60D and RedCat 51, as it is already setup. Additionally I employed Hubble's artificial star flashlight.
Wanted to test this software change out - expected outcome to get better focus with the ray trace for feedback on accuracy.
1. Used the Canon rear screen live view to get close.
2. Used Ekos's live view to check
3.Tried numerous exposure times to get the star flare - didn't see any flare up to 30 second exposure. Even maxed out ISO.

Left all settings at default. Do you have any suggestions?

I will try this again tomorrow with my 183mmPro.

Thank you for you efforts; perfect app for this OTA/camera
Equipment

Sky Watcher Esprit 100ED APO
QHY5L-II Mini Guider
Pegasus PPB, DMFC
Xagyl Filter, LRGB+Ha
CGEM DX
RP4.4

William Optics RedCat 51
Star Adventurer
RP4.1
Software
KStars phd2 , Ubuntu, StarTools, Mac OS
AstroDSLR AstroGuider AstroTelescope, AstroImager, Astrometry
3 years 10 months ago #53223
Attachments:

Hello relicsraage,

Thanks for trying the Bathinov Mask Assistant Tool. Sorry to hear that you have problems getting a good flare. I didn't change anything to the exposure mechanism, so the fact that you have trouble getting a good flare should not be related to the Bahtinov setting. However, if it might be a result of my implementation, I sure will look into it.

You can try the following things to see if that resolves the issue:

1. Select another detection algorithm (e.g. SEP or Gradient) but leave your Bahtinov mask in place and try if you still can't get a good flare. The detection algorithm has no effect on the exposure, only on detecting a star. With another detection algorithm Ekos won't be able to detect if the focus is right, but it will show that the exposure problem is not related to the Bahtinov detection algorithm. If it does affect the exposure, then I sure will look into it. Then something must have gone wrong in my software implementation.
2. In the focus tab, in the image preview area there are several buttons. One of the buttons is the auto stretch button (a dot with 4 triangles around it). If you press that button, the image will be stretched and that will probably show the flare that you expect. If the button is unpressed, then no stretching is applied and the image looks very dim (not much stars are shown, that could probably be the cause of the absence of the flare).

I hope these answers will help. If not, let me know.
3 years 10 months ago #53259

Hi all,

Since yesterday afternoon (4th of May 2020), the Bahtinov Mask Focus Assistant have been integrated in the main branch of KDE/kstars. So it is now available for everyone and will probably be available in the next release of kstars.
Good luck using this feature. Let me know if you have any questions of encounter any problems regarding the Bahtinov Mask Focus Assistant.

Kind regards,
AstroRunner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Radek Kaczorek, Wouter van Reeven, Rick Wayne, Bill
3 years 10 months ago #53260

• Thank you received: 20
Cool! I can't wait to try this out on my StellarMate!
3 years 10 months ago #53269

• Thank you received: 420
Cool! Me neither!
3 years 10 months ago #53270

• Thank you received: 160
Looks like it's working for me. Seeing was terrible, btw.

3 years 10 months ago #53273
Attachments:

screenreco...5.18.mp4

• Thank you received: 7
Hello again, thanks for the tips. I was able to get the flare with considerable zoom at 1.5 seconds exposures.
By comparison using the live view in Ekos the flare was bright and large regardless of zoom level; but using loop with the Canon...was quite dark using FITS or Native settings.
Nothing to do with this logic addition as this seems to be normal with my Canon.
Thanks for including your video Herrhausen, It did help.

I will try my asi183, if there are stars tonight.

Quick question , can you add this flare vector to the live view for DSLRs?

Thanks
Equipment

Sky Watcher Esprit 100ED APO
QHY5L-II Mini Guider
Pegasus PPB, DMFC
Xagyl Filter, LRGB+Ha
CGEM DX
RP4.4

William Optics RedCat 51
Star Adventurer
RP4.1
Software
KStars phd2 , Ubuntu, StarTools, Mac OS
AstroDSLR AstroGuider AstroTelescope, AstroImager, Astrometry
3 years 10 months ago #53275
Attachments:

Hi,
Unfortunately the flare vector can't be added to the live view. The other star detection algorithm results are also not available in live view. To make this available requires quite some restructuring of the code to make it work. Maybe it can be submitted as a feature request. But I think the live view was not intended to support this behaviour (but I could be wrong here, as I am quite new to developing to kstars and ekos).
Regards, AstroRunner
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Couture
3 years 10 months ago #53284

You're correct. The Live View does not support these features. I suppose some features can be added but it requires quite a bit of work.
3 years 10 months ago #53285

Time to create page: 0.709 seconds