INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars v3.1.0 is released

• Thank you received: 2

Replied by Oliver on topic KStars v3.1.0 is released

Don‘t know if that helps but this preferences bug seems to happen when you run Kstars with English language activated. Switch to German language and the preferences work as they should.

Oliver
5 years 1 month ago #35830

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 812
YES! Observations like that one definitely would help. That points to the error being translations related, and we have been having some issues with getting the KDE translations to build correctly. I can check that out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Oliver
5 years 1 month ago #35833

Thank you Oliver!! I just looked into it based on what you said. It appears that the word "Configure" in the menu "Configure Observations & Logging" is causing either KDE or QT to think that this is the the same as the Configure item. On OS X, configure gets changed to "Preferences" and gets moved to the KStars Menu. So it encounters "configure" and thinks this is really preferences and that is breaking the "Preferences" option by making it into the Observations and Logging Menu.

The easy solution is to just rename the menu item. The better solution is to notify either QT or KDE that this could be a problem for others too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Oliver
5 years 1 month ago #35844

nmac,

Based on your lldb info, it looks like there might be some issue with astrometry on your computer. It looks like it started up, but then had some sort of error. To investigate, can you try something else?

1. Plate solve something, it can be a simulator image, it doesn't matter what.
2. Then did you see in the log where it printed the commands that it tried? Try running those from a terminal window.

From your Log these are the commands you should run (You could copy and paste them to the terminal):

export PATH=/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/netpbm/bin:/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/python/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/X11/bin

export PYTHONPATH=/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/python/bin/site-packages

/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/solve-field -O --no-plots --no-verify --resort --downsample 2 -3 59.7844 -4 40.0646 -5 30 --config /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/astrometry.cfg -W /private/var/folders/7r/_6vb6spn30qf005c_13vm1fw0000gn/T/solution.wcs /private/var/folders/7r/_6vb6spn30qf005c_13vm1fw0000gn/T/fitsNPYyVi.fits

Just one note: the last part of the command where it says "/private/var/folders/7r/_6vb6spn30qf005c_13vm1fw0000gn/T/fitsNPYyVi.fits". That is a temporary file, so that is what you would need to change. (also probably the wcs file right before that)

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 1 month ago #35870

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by peter on topic KStars v3.1.0 is released

I am new to Kstars. How come there are no moons except for the Moon? I have not found any setting in Kstars configuration to enable solar system moons. What am I missing? Do I need to install some addon or something?
5 years 1 month ago #35889

Use the search function to find them. Also, if you want to see more in details. Use the XPlane Solar System Simulator developed by Robert.
5 years 1 month ago #35890

Search does not find them. They simply don't seem to be in Kstars at all!
5 years 1 month ago #35894

You're absolutely right. I investigated a bit and they were removed 2 years ago. We need another small project to bring them (and other solar system moons back).
5 years 1 month ago #35895

Thank you. Do I assume correctly there is no chance the moons will be back in a foreseeable future?

If I install Xplanet, would it bring the moons back?
5 years 1 month ago #35900

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic KStars v3.1.0 is released

I know this is from the last release but since you're talking astrometry problems, it would not work when I tried 3.0.0 last Friday on a Mac. Attached is the log if it helps. I'll probably try 3.1.0 this week.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_18-24-06.txt
File Size:2,073 KB
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Greg.
5 years 1 month ago #35902
Attachments:

There is the XPlanet Solar System Simulator which you can see all the moons, but nothing on the Skymap. I will see maybe we can have a Google Summer of Code project for this.. or if we get new developers that want to work on it. Currently, we don't have anyone with time that can work on it.
5 years 1 month ago #35904

I took a quick look in your log. There is a space in your file path. "KStars 3.0.0" Astrometry.net chokes on spaces in the filename because it largely works from the command line. You cannot have a space in your path to astrometry if you want to use astrometry.net. I put that into the instructions on the DMG.
5 years 1 month ago #35915

Time to create page: 0.678 seconds