INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Best Polar alignment method ?

• Thank you received: 3
Hello,
I ask myself a question for polar alignment:

I have a Polemaster camera on my skywatcher eq6r pro mount, a Celestron C8 and either my Asi 294mc pro in hyperstar mode or in the focus of the telescope.

my question : is it better to do the polar alignment via ekos from the Polemaster (so directly on the mount) or go through my asi 294 ?

Best

Frank
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Frank.
4 years 11 months ago #38467

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223
Via the polemaster, which should be perfectly fitted at the right location on the mount. There will not be any flexure nor miss-alignment from your imaging rig.
4 years 11 months ago #38468

Replied by Frank on topic Best Polar alignment method ?

Thanks ;)
4 years 11 months ago #38484

• Thank you received: 51
I guess you need to check if you have at least 30' of field minimum to do the Ekos alignment. This alignment can be done with the guiding instrument too which allow to have wider field. I do alignment east to west and do it again west to east. The result is that in less than 10mn I have the mount axle close to few seconds to the pole. If you don't have enough field of view so polemaster could be better bu I am not sure it is so competitive if you have enough field.
4 years 11 months ago #38496

Replied by Frank on topic Best Polar alignment method ?

good point.
I have enough field of view to compare the two methods.
A priori, the method from the Polemaster should be the best, but what if the telescope is not perfectly aligned on the mount (I find that the plate of the eq6r pro is not perfect and even for the vixen bar of the C8 ... a little too much flexion I find).
if the sky is discovered a little on the side of Angouleme, I will try tonight ;)
4 years 11 months ago #38521

• Thank you received: 420
Alignment of the scope is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is flexure. As long as the offset between the telescope and the mount is constant, then rotating the mount will lead to a good measurement of the polar alignment error. This is also true when using a guide scope instead of the main imaging scope.

Wouter
4 years 11 months ago #38522

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds