INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos on Mac OS X ?

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

ah, I had not noticed the * in the file name... doh... that means several files are being downloaded. That explains why it seems slow.
I thought it was just one file.
6 years 9 months ago #17122
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 809

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Based on what you said, it might be good to include some where the number of files that will be downloaded. I at least think that it would be good to include the file sizes. See what you think about this screenshot. Does this help?

6 years 9 months ago #17123
Attachments:

I thought about it. I think this could work for the number of index files:

6 years 9 months ago #17124
Attachments:

ok, this is strange, I can no longer download any indexes. It sorts of stuck somehow.
6 years 9 months ago #17125

When you're in Ekos / Align module and click on 'Options...' to gain access to the Astrometry configure window, it pops up as it should. However it does not stay in focus and I think it should until you're done doing your updates.
6 years 9 months ago #17126
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Robert on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Hi, I just discovered Kstar 2.7.8 and Ekos and must say that I have been impressed with it so far. However I seem to run into problems trying to connect my Canon 700D as well as with the PAA. I run Mac OSX El Capitan.
I realise there have been issues with connecting Canon DSLR before and was wondering if my error has popped up before with anybody.
The DSLR error messages I get are :

Camera_get_config failed (-2): Bad parameters
Can not open camera: Power OK? If camera is auto-mounted as external disk storage, please unmount it and disable auto-mount.
Camera_get_config failed (-53): Could not claim the USB device
It works fine when I use AstroDSLR from Cloudmakers which also uses INDI Server and INDI control panel and I assume the INDI driver for Canon DSLR.
The camera is not mounted as far as I can see.I have installed the latest indilib which I understand to be containing the gphoto driver.

Regarding the polar alignment: I seem not to be able to Clear the alignment model of my Celestron AVX mount. It gives me the error : Failed to clear Alignment Model.
When I start the PAA it first wants to "Clear the alignment model" which takes forever and eventually I give up. When I start the capture and solve process it doesn't seem to be able to find a solution. It keeps failing. "Solver failed after ... seconds). I have a guidescope (200mm focal length and 50mm aperture which should suffice) and an ASI 120MC.

Please help! This is quite frustrating.

I seem to be doing nothing else than encountering problems which I am trying to solve as best as possible instead of being able to enjoy some astronomy. :-(

Kind regards,
Robert
6 years 9 months ago #17426

Thanks Robert for your feedback,

Are you using the internal indiserver in KStars? Did you try using the cloudmakers indiserver as a "remote" indiserver from kstars? Also did you try running the indiserver from the command line and connecting to it from kstars as if it were a remote indiserver? Does it show the same problem in both cases? I can explain how to do either one of these if you need help. You also said you installed the latest indilib. Does this mean you built it from source and installed it to /usr/local/bin? If so did you try running that one from the command line and connecting to it as if it were a remote indiserver from kstars?

If you use the cloudmakers indiserver in astrodslr, it should work as a remote indiserver for kstars as well. The other tests i mentioned should work as well. These tests could both get you up and running if one of them works and could help diagnose any problems if they do not. Also if you send a log file from KStars that could be helpful. Also if running these indiservers from the command line with the -vvv option, any output you see could be helpful.

Thanks,

Rob
6 years 9 months ago #17465

Oh, sorry I have just been informed that the Cloudmakers do not use the INDI GPhoto driver. I think somebody told me this before as well :blush: Anyways, you can still try the other tests I mentioned and that might help
6 years 9 months ago #17472
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Robert on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

Thank you for the swift reply. :-) I have all the Cloudmakers' software installed on my Mac. However when I start Kstar I think I use the Kstar's INDI as I haven't opened any of Cloudmaker's software (including their INDI server and INDI control panel). I was confused when I installed Kstar by the setup wizard's question whether I wanted the Internal INDI or external INDI. It says "In case of doubt choose Internal INDI server" so I did. I wasn't aware of the difference. Do they mean by external INDI server that it is located somewhere remotely on the' web' or simply not part of Kstar's software such as Cloudmaker's INDI server? Anyhow, I have included a screen capture which shows that I am using an Kstars' internal INDI server I think. Regarding the indilib I installed I got that from the Cloudmaker's site where they have an OSX version of the server. I am not versed in programming so I wouldn't have a clue how to use the source code.
I understand I am to try to use the Terminal software in OSX. Can you show me how to " run the indiserver from the command line and connecting to it from kstars as if it were a remote indiserver"?
And/or how to "built it from source and install it to /usr/local/bin".
And/or how to "run that one from the command line and connecting to it as if it were a remote indiserver from stars".
I have downloaded the "libindi_1.4.1.tar.gz" and have a "libindi 2 folder now. Wouldn't have a clue how to proceed. Sorry for my ignorance. :-(
What happened to the good old WYSIWYG ;-)
Where are the star log files located in OSX so I can send them to you?

A very appreciative Robert.
6 years 9 months ago #17473
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by anofeles on topic Ekos on Mac OS X ?

I have a problem with the ekos solver control...
If I make a "capture & solve" with "nothing" solver action checked, all works fine (online and offline) but if I make a "capture & solve" with "Sync" action checked (same image) ekos doesn't even solve (online or offline) the same image that it had solved in a few seconds with the "nothing" option checked...
Sorry my english...
Any idea, please?
Thanks in advance...
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by anofeles.
6 years 9 months ago #17477

Basically, "internal" means it starts its own indi server. On os x, the goal is to have it bundled inside the app for simplicity. An external indiserver could be on a separate computer on the network, on the internet, over wifi, or even just on the same computer but launched from the command line or another program like the cloudmakers indi server.

To turn on logging, just go to the preferences in kstars, then advanced, and logging. You will want to check "indi" and tell it so save to a log file. In that same panel, there is a button that will show you where the log is located.

To try to run the indiserver from the command line:
1. Open Terminal.app
2. Right click on KStars.app (wherever you installed it) and click on "show package contents"
3. Navigate to the Contents/MacOS/INDI folder
4. Go back to the terminal and type "cd " in the terminal.
5. Drag the indi folder to the terminal window, it should type the path after your "cd". Hit enter.
6. Now you are "in" the indi folder in the terminal.
7. Type the following command exactly as it shows in the terminal:
./indiserver -vvv ./indi_canon_ccd

After you type that, it should be running and will print all output. You can connect your camera, start up kstars and connect to a "remote" indiserver with localhost as the host and the canon indi driver selected as the only driver. Make sure you take note of anything that it says in the terminal window since any issues should print.

If you have both a log file and the terminal output that would greatly help us figure out any problems.
6 years 9 months ago #17478

Do you have the latest version from the website?
6 years 9 months ago #17479
Time to create page: 0.606 seconds