INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Test on KStars 3.2.3 on MAC -> missing astrometry.net binaries

• Thank you received: 28
Hi,

I recently downloaded KStars 3.2.3 and work with it. Actually it points out, that in the APP bundle under /Content/MacOS/astrometry/bin there are many files missing when comparing to 3.2.2 version. Do I miss something ?

Michel
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Michael.
4 years 9 months ago #39722

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nailed it further down in comparison between 3.0.0 and 3.2.3 (and 3.2.2)

With 3.0.0 i get:
/Applications/kstars300.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/image2xy -O -o /Users/mw/PycharmProjects/MountWizzard4/temp/temp.xy /Users/mw/PycharmProjects/MountWizzard4/image/2019-05-31-11-27-43-exposure.fits
simplexy: found 395 sources.

with 3.2.2 (and 3.2.3) i get:
/Applications/kstars322.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/image2xy -O -o /Users/mw/PycharmProjects/MountWizzard4/temp/temp.xy /Users/mw/PycharmProjects/MountWizzard4/image/2019-05-31-11-27-43-exposure.fits
Illegal instruction: 4

So there must be something different in image2xy because the source file is identically (as well as the setup)
4 years 9 months ago #39724

• Thank you received: 809
So the issue was that I had to abandon completely my old build script and rewrite it totally to build kstars on Mac in January. 3.0 was the last version that was built with home-brew and my old El Capitan Machine. With changes to QT and craft, I was forced to abandon that method and jump into building a totally new way using craft recipes. So yes, quite a bit changed. Most of it is ironed out, but it seems that a few things are not still.

Illegal instruction 4 is an error that typically shows up for me when I try to run code on an older OS X version that was compiled on a newer one. I now have to build on a Mojave system. I eliminated most of the errors by using commands during the build process that should force it to work on older versions of OS X. But several have given me troubles. A few people just reported an issue this week with astrometry. I think it might be related to python. Is your computer running Mojave 10.14.4?

Thanks,

Rob
4 years 9 months ago #39730

Hi Rob,

thanks for quick reply. I running on lastest 10.14.5 and tried is on terminal. So there is no relation to any python.

Michel
4 years 9 months ago #39736

• Thank you received: 87
That's the issue I reported some days ago. The astrometry binaries really have problems. I tried to recompile KStars on Mojave but fails on Dbus.Anyway astrometry is recompiled in the process and it works ok replacing the binaries in the app dir.
The last astrometry that works on Mojave was the one included in the 3.1.1 DMG. You can replace the binaries with this version too.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by nMAC.
4 years 9 months ago #39740

Can you try this DMG as a test to see if the astrometry issue is resolved or at least improved. I worked this weekend on getting python better wrapped up inside the app bundle. This may not fully resolve the issue, but lets make sure it doesn't make it worse and check to see if it helps. Please let me know.

drive.google.com/open?id=19hX15yz1Ryr-xkJxsWKYWeb_y7vcDl6T

Thanks,

Rob
4 years 9 months ago #39803

This one is better than the last one I just posted. The last one had python that was compatible with 10.14 Mojave computers. This should be compatible with everything down to 10.12 I think.

drive.google.com/open?id=1wmkuli2tjKK9GF3oZwnJznkIYWpx7OY_

Thanks,

Rob
4 years 9 months ago #39804

• Thank you received: 420
I downloaded that second TEST version and tried the plate solving. I did not install GSC so the image produced by the CCD Simulator only contains garbage. Plate solving immediately fails and I am not sure if that is because of the missing GSC but I don't think so. The relevant log lines of the solver are

[2019-06-03T09:21:13.044 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Image received."
[2019-06-03T09:21:13.104 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "export PATH=/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/netpbm/bin:/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/python/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin"
[2019-06-03T09:21:13.119 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "export PYTHONPATH=/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/python/lib/python2.7/site-packages"
[2019-06-03T09:21:13.140 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Starting solver..."
[2019-06-03T09:21:13.162 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/solve-field -O --no-plots --no-verify --resort --downsample 8 -3 357.663 -4 90 -5 30 --config /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/astrometry.cfg -W /private/var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/solution.wcs /private/var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/fitshAxroR.fits"
[2019-06-03T09:21:13.182 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Reading input file 1 of 1: \"/private/var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/fitshAxroR.fits\"..."
[2019-06-03T09:21:13.199 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Solver failed. Try again."

When I execute the command in a terminal I get

$> /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/solve-field -O --no-plots --no-verify --resort --downsample 8 -3 357.663 -4 90 -5 30 --config /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/astrometry.cfg -W /private/var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/solution.wcs /private/var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/fitshAxroR.fits
Reading input file 1 of 1: "/private/var/folders/jr/tcfsd52s5836dvkzvrk79bgw0000gp/T/fitshAxroR.fits"...
Extracting sources...
Downsampling by 8...
No pixels were marked as significant.
significance threshold = 1.15099
max value in image = 0.423492
Downsampling by 2...
No pixels were marked as significant.
significance threshold = 1.15099
max value in image = 0.18831
Downsampling by 2...
simplexy: found 1 sources.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/removelines", line 15, in <module>
sys.exit(main())
File "/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/lib/python/astrometry/util/removelines.py", line 78, in main
cut=opt.cut, ext=opt.ext)
File "/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/lib/python/astrometry/util/removelines.py", line 40, in removelines
T = fits_table(infile, lower=False)
File "/Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/lib/python/astrometry/util/fits.py", line 672, in fits_table
pf = pyfits.open(dataorfn, memmap=mmap)
AttributeError: 'NoPyfits' object has no attribute 'open'
augment-xylist.c:589:backtick Failed to run command: /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/removelines /tmp/tmp.xyls.FcJF7I /tmp/tmp.removelines.U7Lvig
ioutils.c:567:run_command_get_outputs Command failed: return value 1

HTH, Wouter
4 years 9 months ago #39805

Thank you very much for the test. The good news is that is not the same problem. It did more than just failing right away due to an ambiguous illegal instruction error. I will check into it.
4 years 9 months ago #39809

Hi Rob,
tested the latest version you mentioned. Still get the same error message from image2xy:

(mw4) JUPITER:image mw$ /Applications/kstars.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/image2xy m51.fit
Illegal instruction: 4

in comparison to kstars 3.0.0:
(mw4) JUPITER:image mw$ /Applications/kstars300.app/Contents/MacOS/astrometry/bin/image2xy m51.fits
simplexy: found 1408 sources.

So nothing changed. I only call that binary, no python nothing else to be used.

Michel
4 years 9 months ago #39816

So I have some good news and some bad news. My attempt to create a new wrapped up version of python using virtual environments failed. There are several problems, getting the python built for older OS X systems, getting it to look in the right place for its site-packages, and making sure it can be moved and has no absolute paths. Unfortunately, when I change one of these things it breaks the others. Making the virtualenv python relocatable, means that it won't use the embedded directory for its site packages.

The reason it worked before using Homebrew was that I was building on a 10.11 computer and just copying the files into the app bundle. Also, I didn't copy everything, just the files it needed. That worked fairly well. But we need to build on newer computers for older ones. Homebrew and python just don't support that well.

The good news is that today I came up with a different idea. Astrometry.net doesn't have to rely on netpbm and python in order to work. It can also use a program called sextractor, which we already use in kstars to extract the star positions. Then astrometry.net can work with the coordinates of the stars. It would be far simpler than what I have been trying to hack together with embedded python and netpbm. I tried an initial test of it today and it is promising.
4 years 9 months ago #39840

Nope, I spoke too soon. When I removed all my system python packages, it stopped working. So apparently either pyfits or Astropy.io.fits is required to use astrometry.net.

So I guess there are a couple of options.

1. Go back to telling the users/providing instructions on how to install homebrew, python, and all requirements to run astrometry in homebrew.

2. Try to build a similar setup to what I did before on an older system, zip it up, and copy it in when building on a newer computer.
4 years 9 months ago #39842

Time to create page: 0.297 seconds