INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Test on KStars 3.2.3 on MAC -> missing astrometry.net binaries

• Thank you received: 28
Hi Rob,

I think your are right to be able to use astrometry.net without python. I use image2xy to extract the star positions to XY coordinates and then using solve-field with a limited set of options. With that you should be able to walk from a FITS file to a WCS header with solved coordinates. I will be able telling you the options this evening.

Michel
4 years 9 months ago #39845

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Well astrometry is written for python. It’s programs use python to call other routines and other programs and it uses python modules to complete its tasks. I tried a variety of things that should have worked. But even tasks that you think should not involve python, throw up python errors when you remove it.
4 years 9 months ago #39846

• Thank you received: 28
Rob,

had a look on the source of astrometry.net and agree. There is a mix of c and python and I have no clue how to separate this. So I'm with you and waiting the topics to be solved.
Many thanks for your work !

Michel
4 years 9 months ago #39874

So I think I have a good idea now. I mightl go back to the way I had done this originally, with a series of buttons on a page in the startup wizard. The user can click them and install what is needed. I eventually abandoned this and embedded the minimal python installation that you saw previously because of issues and conflicts with different versions of python on different people's systems. It made it very hard to get the install scripts right. It proved for awhile to be easier to embed a python installation where I set everything up properly. But now that is broken since I cannot build an older version of python and embed it well without issues.But based on the work I was doing this weekend, I think I have some ideas on how to do a better job this time around.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven, Jerry Black
4 years 9 months ago #39878

Ok, I worked for many hours during the last couple of days on a better solution. I think I have it. I have set up an installer button and put it into the Astrometry configuration options for now. (I will see what others think about it, they might end up being moved somewhere else. But for right now, I would like to see if this new configuration and installer works. Please test this to make sure plate solving works correctly. Before you can use it, you MUST run the installer. There is no more embedded python. Please see my screenshot for details.

drive.google.com/open?id=1K3anbNAcsLC3ddy4UVYpMbcjYC60v8xl

Please test plate solving with your system, to be even more helpful, you might want to try removing astropy, pyfits, numpy, python, and/or homebrew to see how the installers work. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robert Lucas
4 years 9 months ago #39917
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 420
Thanks very much for all the hard work Rob. Unfortunately, as a software developer working with Python, installing Python3 via Homebrew is not a workable solution for me since it conflicts with Anaconda. However, I'll try to solve this myself. I guess it means fiddling around with the PYTHON_PATH and PATH variables and installing the required python dependencies via Anaconda.

Thanks, Wouter
4 years 9 months ago #39933

That’s not a problem, it just means you can’t run the installers. You can configure another version of python to work with this. Just make sure that there is a python or a python link in /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin and that either pyfits or astropy modules are installed for that python.
4 years 9 months ago #39949

The installers that I made are meant for the typical user who just has the system python installed and no packages.
4 years 9 months ago #39950

Thanks for the confirmation of my suspicions, Rob!
4 years 9 months ago #39951

Let me know if you think we need to make the path to python configurable for folks like you so that when astrometry is run, the path to python can be in the PATH. Also, would you need the PYTHONPATH environment variable set too?
4 years 9 months ago #39953

Thanks for the offer, Rob. I'll investigate and will try to make it work. As soon as I have, I'll let you know. It may take a while though since I'll be off until Monday.

Wouter
4 years 9 months ago #39954

• Thank you received: 69
I installed the 3.2.3 Test
My index file location had to be set in the Astrometry.cfg setup and after fixing a file permission error on ~/./Library/Application\ Support/Astrometry everything worked.

When doing Python Setup my system only had to install astropy.

Using the simulator, both solving and load and solve worked.

Thanks!
4 years 9 months ago #39955

Time to create page: 0.365 seconds