INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

USB3 may force me to move off of Raspberry Pi

• Thank you received: 2
Hi,

As far as I know, you can run an INDI Server on Windows...

indilib.org/forum/general/1284-indi-server-for-windows.html

I tried to make it work without success by the way... I only use Windows in a Surface tablet/laptop to control my Stellarmate RPI using RealVNC.

However I think that Windows will not any advantage over Linux or Mac as INDI/Ekos/Kstars is optimized for those operating systems.

Paco L.

Paco L.

Paco L.
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
StarlightXpress Filter Wheel
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Francisco Labrador.
4 years 9 months ago #39884

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 140

Yes that is windi, but does not work, the link posted above by Maxchess has nothing to do with INdI running on windows, as it will only run on a Linux or Debian based system.. :)
4 years 9 months ago #39887

• Thank you received: 2
You’re more than right..

Paco L.
SkyWatcher AZEQ6-Pro
Meade SC8 UHTC
TMB 80/480 LZOS APO
Orion ShortTube 80/400
APM 50 sight & find
Meade ETX70-AT
QHY183M
ZWO ASI290MC
StarlightXpress Filter Wheel
SestoSenso Focuser
Pegasus Pocket Power Box
... More coming...
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 9 months ago #39888

• Thank you received: 13
OK thanks for putting me right the download link only gets you EKOS, I tested it linked to my Stellarmate, but did not try stand alone on windows, which of course does not connect to anything. I was fooled by the download description which says "Ekos astrophotography suite, a complete astrophotography solution that can control all INDI devices including numerous telescopes, CCDs, DSLRs, focusers, filters, and a lot more."
So back to the the topic, an upgrade path from the RPI with USB3. I want an all in one box solution, because the box will sit on my pier and control all my devices and I will VNC into it from a variety of devices. In my Obs-Shed checking that it doesn't crash while slewing, then from a variety of devices around the house.
I have therefore ordered a Rock64 pro with 64gb emmc, wifi, heatsink, power supply, case etc direct from the Pine 64 site. Its a a pain having to order all the bits separately. It ships from Singapore to the UK The Pine64 has lots of support, the Rock is quite mature and its aimed at the Linux market. There are several reports of satisfied users on this site

Wish me luck
4 years 9 months ago #39907

If you are going to VNC I to it from other devices and it PC’s, then what not just stick with the rpi with INdI on as a server on your mount with all kit connected to it, and (as i do) run Kstars from a more powerful PC or device and connect to rpi via WiFi to the INdI server, so as a client and server mode...it works perfectly and many do it like this.... no need to more powerful SBC at all.. :)
4 years 9 months ago #39911

I refer you to the opening post of this topic "I am finding that the USB2 ports on the RPI with files stored on the local SD card are too slow. I tried using a ZWO ASI178MC (Not Cooled) and got very severe amp glow" To get rid of it, you need to run USB3 speeds and to get full advantage of USB3 you need to feed fast memory like a emmc or an SSD drive. This problem is very well documented on the ZWO site.

Currently to get around this I have to get everything set up, autofocus, framing etc on the PI and then unplug the USB connection and replug to my Dell XPS with USB3 / SSD drives. Capturing with sharpcap. When I do this I get virtually no Amglow.
Hopefully with the Rock64Pro, i will be back to a single server.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd
4 years 9 months ago #39912

• Thank you received: 9
I have a cooled ASI 294MC Pro and I tried it on the Raspi with USB2 and on an Intel NUC with USB3. I didn't see any difference in image quality but the speed difference was enormous. I still use the Raspi because it's light, compact and has enough USB ports for my needs. The NUC plus USB hub would be too much for my mount.

The Rock64Pro looks like a good alternative, especially because it runs on 12V power and it has an RTC.
4 years 9 months ago #39948

• Thank you received: 53

I'd love to know if these work properly in place of the PI. STILL VERY CHEAP, 3.0... I have a 094 and each sub is 72+MB. I'd love to hear from anyone using one in our situation.
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

4 years 9 months ago #39986

• Thank you received: 69

I've placed an order. Should be interesting as my linux skills are limited. The issue of USB 3 interference with wi-fi may be problematic forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=3...1f58c4bfb1ced886b8d8

Whoops, sorry I see this is considered off-topic. I'll stop now.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Jerry Black. Reason: Previous entry considered this a more constrained topic.
4 years 9 months ago #39991

Hmmm, yes I am looking at one of there new Odroid-N2 aswell, will you guys just be using a micro SD card as on rpi or going for one of the eMMc modules..?
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 9 months ago #39994

I think if I am changing device to get the higher speed of USB3 then it makes sense to go for emmc. The Odroid-N2 looks like a good alternative, on the plus side the emmc pre-loaded with Ubuntu, it is supplied by a UK distributor, comes whereas the Rock64pro gets shipped from Singapore. I ordered mine on May 25, it shipped express (10 days) on the 29th but has not arrived yet. The wifi links referred to above for the Odroid-N2 is worrying and in general I want a platform that works in practice not just in theory, so (back to topic) is anyone out there current using INDI/EKOS on the Odroid-N2 and if so what sort of transfer rates do you get from CCD cameras?
4 years 9 months ago #39996

• Thank you received: 226
I wrote about the WiFi issue elsewhere , but I do not have first hand experience with it.
4 years 9 months ago #40004

Time to create page: 0.649 seconds