INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

USB3 may force me to move off of Raspberry Pi

• Thank you received: 420

A new BIOS was released two days ago which fixes the issue where the Z83-F wouldn't boot without an HDMI device connected :silly:
4 years 9 months ago #40150

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 86
Really? I am going to receive a Z83-F Minisforum tomorrow. Bought it on an impulse.. Soon after realized that it wouldn't boot without a monitor. There are also reports about wifi issues...
Should I keep it?
I am debating between this one and odroid-n2 and RockPro64.
Which one to go with? Odroid-n2 is the newest one... Is it better?
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 2.
4 years 9 months ago #40152

Max,

I sent you a PM with info about the BIOS update. I agree that the wifi of the Z83-F isn't great. Occasionally it works well but most of the time it performs poorly at best. I switched to wired networking because of that. But that really is the only flaw it has. For the rest it works perfectly well. For me one compelling reason to stick with it is that it needs 12 V at 2000 mA which can easily be achieved via rechargeable batteries so I can take the device with me into the field and use Ekos there.

Clear skies, Wouter
4 years 9 months ago #40153

Wouter,
Got the Miniforum Mini PC. Installed Ubuntu 18.04, configured network, etc.
Now I am stuck with VNC autostart.
X11vnc works fine when started manually but wouldn't autostart (I followed your link for instructions).
I am getting "xauth: unable to generate an authority file name" when I run [systemctl status x11vnc].
There are thread about this on inet but I was unable to fix.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
4 years 9 months ago #40197

Oh.. Found solution - askubuntu.com/questions/1033274/ubuntu-1...gin-screen-over-vnc/
It involves switching from GDM3 authorization to LightDM but works...
Now I am to install kstars/ekos
-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
4 years 9 months ago #40199

Glad to see you were able to fix it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: maxthebuilder
4 years 9 months ago #40203

• Thank you received: 13
My Rock64Pro finally arrived, I have installed nearly everything including indi/EKOS and it seems to work great. Its currently sat on my pier in my OBSshed at the end of the garden. Iam powering it using a 12v converter which also powers other stuff. and I am connecting via VNC to send the note.

I will post a longer install message later, but here is the short version.
First its fast, I did speed test on the USB3 port by plugging in a fast USB3 stick. On the RPI I got a speed of 33MBS, but on the Rock64 99.8 MBS.
Both running of the SD Card, I will re-test when I install emmc memory which should be faster.

My experience of installing and running software is that I expect tasks like Astrometry, which crawls on the RPI, to be fast too. We will see.

My RockPro64:
ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer $79.99
ROCKPro64 PREMIUM ALUMINUM CASING $14.99
ROCKPro64 12V 3A EU POWER SUPPLY $8.99

Total of $104 or £81 in real money, so thats 3 x the price of a comperable Pi, but no wifi. The case is really nice and incorporates a heat sink

I have since ordered:
USB Adapter for eMMC Module $4.99
64GB eMMC Module $34.95
ROCKPro64 2x2 MIMO Dual Band WIFI 802.11AC/BLUETOOTH 4.2 MODULE $15.99
So thats another $55.93 or £44.04 All of the above plus shipping from China.

Note that you need USB Adapter for eMMC Module to flash the Emmc with the operating system.

Installation was easy ish. First Pine provide a really nice SD flasher based on Echer that allows you to install the OS. I ended up installing Armbian Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Desktop. My understanding is that EKOS/INDI does not run well on Debian, the other versions of Ubuntu I tried were flakey, but this version was easy: burn to SD and load.

The next part was installing VNC server and getting it to load at boot, a little tricky, but it worked. Then Indi/EKOS loaded without problems following the Ubuntu download instructions, added AStrometery and PHD2 installed easily too.

Only real issue seems to wifi. The Rock64Pro would not recognise my old RPI wifi dongle. I have ordered another make which is armbian approved. For the moment I am hard wired over Ethernet using Powerline.

So just need to wait for a cloudless night to test, but it seems good. However the instal process does make me appreciate how stable and great value the RPI is.

Max
4 years 9 months ago #40237

• Thank you received: 9

I've read that this module will only work with Android and not with the typical Linux distributions. I don't know how old this message was so please report back if it works or not.

This was really putting me off because I need an ethernet port to control my mount and I don't want to add a switch or hub on top.
4 years 9 months ago #40270

• Thank you received: 13
You are right there are reports of the rock wifi module not working, so I will let you know if it does. However this a board mounted module. I have also ordered from Amazon a COMFAST Mini WLAN USB Stick ..600MBIT. The Armbian RockPro64 site includes this particular dongle and others in a range of "Tested 3rd Party hardware" In fact it includes quite a few others too. So I am hoping it works.
4 years 9 months ago #40275

• Thank you received: 140

Can I ask where you got the Rock64 Pro for $79 as the cheapest I can find is from China at $135, or Amazon here in the U.K. at £117.. ?. :0
4 years 9 months ago #40311

• Thank you received: 140
This looks like another good option as an upgrade, has USB 3 and USB C, and only 3.8” square, 4gb RAM and built in 64gb eMMc, and has full WIN 10, but that could be replaced with Linux.. :)

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GVG3Q4Z/ref=sspa_...fd-17483dcc3099&th=1
4 years 9 months ago #40312

Thanks to Wouter (WVREEVEN) I got a Minisforum Mini PC.
www.minisforum.com/view/46.html
It's 12x12cm. 12V. WIFI/Bluetooth, 64GB MMC included.
Comes with Windows 10 pre-installed but supports Ubuntu (they have a Win 10 image to restore on their forum).
There is one additional USB2 port under cover - to stick a better WIFI adapter or a flash drive.

After a couple of iterations I got it up an running with Ubuntu Mate 18.04.
The most difficult part for me was to get VNC to auto-start. Used X11VNC.
Also,
WIFI doesn't work by default - one needs to download a fix from their forum.
The unit doesn't boot without an HDMI monitor attached - one needs to download an updated BIOS from their forum to fix it.

Now my ZWO ASI294 runs at 6-7 frames per second in Live View instead of 0.8 on RPI thanks to USB3.
The system on the whole is considerably faster than RPI.
Will try it in the field on Friday.

Max

-- Max S
ZWO EAF x 2.
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by maxthebuilder.
4 years 9 months ago #40316

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds