INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

RaspberryPi 4 my version of full install indi/kstars

• Thank you received: 3
Ok, I had kstars and indi running a while ago, but had major issue with my QHY128c now sort of solved, but it works
Here is my guide, hopefully I got it right.

File Attachment:

File Name: RPI4indiinstaller.txt
File Size:4 KB

SETUP for RPI 4

'install raspian/buster Let it do all the updates too
'In preferences goto raspberry pi configuration and set for VNC
'In preferences goto add/remove software.
'type in window top left program required
'all these are done thru here
'Cmake 3-13.4-1, gdebi, usbview, fxload, synaptic, hardinfo, conky,

'to get the breeze icons needed for kstars

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install icon-breeze-theme

'Conky is great for sidebar of system info etc
'copy the conky.conf to /etc/conky ( 'acknowlegdement' the conky conf is Robert Lancasters one 'conkyrc' )
'you run it by typing "conky" in terminal or setup a auto launcher for it
sudo cp conky.conf /etc/conky

During installs below watch for missing Lib### files, you can goto the add/remove in preferences and find them, (usually)
install whatever is missing and then rerun command. (cross fingers too)

INSTALLING INDI and 3RDPARTY

Install libindi and 3rd party driver
#Follow ALL instructions in README.md to compile and install INDI and 3rd party drivers at:
#https://github.com/indilib/indi/blob/master/README.md

Pre Requirements
sudo apt-get install libnova-dev libcfitsio-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev zlib1g-dev libgsl-dev build-essential cmake git libjpeg-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libtiff-dev
sudo apt-get install libftdi-dev libgps-dev libraw-dev libdc1394-22-dev libgphoto2-dev libboost-dev libboost-regex-dev librtlsdr-dev liblimesuite-dev libftdi1-dev

cd /home/pi
git clone github.com/indilib/indi.git
cd indi

mkdir -p build/libindi
cd /home/pi/indi/build/libindi
sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../../libindi
sudo make
sudo make install

cd /home/pi/indi/build
mkdir 3rdparty
cd 3rdparty
sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../../3rdparty
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug ../../3rdparty
sudo make
sudo make install

Using File,,,,,, (qhy ccdsdk-v2.0.11-linux-debian-ubuntu-armv8)
open in terminal from each of the folders in order of info below 'lib' 'firmaware' 'udev' 'fx3load'
in each terminal window, do the sudo cp................ ( this copies the right info for QHY ccd's )

#####################################################################################################################
# Description : This script installs all the necessary files (libraries, firmwares, udev, include) on Linux machine.
# Written by : Jan Soldan (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)
# Version : 1.02
# Date : 9/2017
#####################################################################################################################

# install shared libs and links
sudo cp -d ../lib/* /usr/local/lib

# install firmware
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/qhy/firmware
sudo cp -p ../firmware/* /usr/local/lib/qhy/firmware

# install udev files
sudo cp ../udev/* /etc/udev/rules.d
sudo cp ../udev/* /lib/udev/rules.d

# install fxload with the FX3 support
mkdir -p /usr/share/usb (this folder is likely already there, just check if it is)
sudo cp ../fx3load/a3load.hex /usr/share/usb
sudo cp ../fx3load/fxload /sbin

INSTALLING KSTARS

sudo apt-get install build-essential cmake git libeigen3-dev libcfitsio-dev zlib1g-dev libindi-dev extra-cmake-modules libkf5plotting-dev libqt5svg5-dev libkf5iconthemes-dev libkf5xmlgui-dev kio-dev kinit-dev libkf5newstuff-dev kdoctools-dev libkf5notifications-dev libqt5websockets5-dev qtdeclarative5-dev libkf5crash-dev gettext

mkdir ~/kde && cd ~/kde
git clone git://anongit.kde.org/kstars

mkdir build && cd build

sudo cmake ../kstars -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr ( may find astrometry not found ) ?
sudo make ( this will take a while to do, coffee time, and second coffee too! )
sudo make install

'''''''You can keep your copy up-to-date by typing `git pull --rebase` in ~/kde/kstars '''''''

'The GPS service will need installing too

sudo apt-get install gpsd
sudo systemctl enable gpsd
sudo systemctl restart gpsd
The following user(s) said Thank You: AstroNerd, Hy Murveit
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Clive Garner.
4 years 8 months ago #41061
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559
Thanks very much for this. Am in process, at the compiling of the 3rd-party indi drivers and all is well so far.
I don't understand the instruction:

> Using File,,,,,, (qhy ccdsdk-v2.0.11-linux-debian-ubuntu-armv8)
> open in terminal from each of the folders in order of info below 'lib' 'firmaware' 'udev' 'fx3load'
> in each terminal window, do the sudo cp................ ( this copies the right info for QHY ccd's )

Could you please spell out specifically what commands you mean?

Also, in the section on installing conky, you seem to be referring to a conky.conf file you recommend.
Can you point me to that file?

Thanks for the hand-holding,
Hy
4 years 8 months ago #41474

For what it's worth, I skipped that step (that I didn't fully understand above), and things seem to be working fine without it. My QHY-5L-II m guide camera seems to connect and work fine. I checked and there are QHY files in the directories that would be copied to by that script.

In addition to your instructions, I also downloaded the source, compiled and installed both astrometry.net and Phd2.

Hope I'm not jinxing myself, but, so far it's running (capturing, focusing, guiding, aligning) with no known issues (5 minutes into a capture session ;) Getting to this point was much less painful than I expected.

Needless to say, the RPi4b is running much quicker than the RPi 3b+ I was using.

Thanks for your help!
4 years 8 months ago #41487

Oh, and one more thing I should mention. The main place the original instructions that failed for me was when starting up KStars and trying to run EKOS. I got a runtime failure because Qt5 Quick Controls and Layouts were not installed on my system. I used the Raspian Preferences → Add/Remove Software tool and searched for "qt5" and also "qtquick kde" and installed several things including qt5 quick controls and qt5 base development files. Sorry, I didn't narrow down exactly what was needed, but did get stuff running.
4 years 7 months ago #41525

• Thank you received: 1
Thanks for the write up. I've installed everything a few times with those instructions, always with great success.

However, I've noticed that some packages were missing, resulting kstars to crash when ekos tried to display the mount controls. This can be fixed via:

sudo apt-get install qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-layouts

Not a kstars expert, so I don't know if this happens for all mounts.
4 years 7 months ago #41544

• Thank you received: 809
I just got my Raspberry Pi4 this week. I was inspired by your success to go back and modify my script to work on the Raspberry Pi 4 in Raspbian instead of just ubuntu. I worked on that for a few hours yesterday and today. I've just about got it. There are a few more issues with networking, but mostly everything else is working pretty well now. I'll post again when its done. By the way, with zram turned on, this thing basically has nearly 8 GB of Ram!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive Garner
4 years 7 months ago #41565

If you need someone for testing, let me know. I’ve been manually doing what your script does for a few days because I was trying out a few things.
4 years 7 months ago #41577

Some quick Pi questions:

1) zram: Do you mean to do step #2 in this: peppe8o.com/2019/03/4-tricks-to-improve-...nd-power-consuption/
do you still recommend that? Any other OS optimizations?

2) Not very git-experienced. When one does a git clone/pull, as in the above or your (@rlancaste) scripts, and then compile to make the binaries, does one wind up with the "bleeding edge" of the repository or the latest release? If it's the head of the tree, how would one get the latest (stable as possible) release?

3) I seem to recall reading that one can do better than running from sdcards, e.g. some inexpensive SSD (not sure how ssd and flash cards differ, honestly). Is that the case? Anything anyone recommends? One thing I really like about SD cards is that I can clone the entire system and, in case of failure/corruption/mistakes I can revert to a known working state. Downside, though, is you want to limit to 32Gb SD cards, since cloning/writing 64Gb is painful, at least the way I do it. Also, with all the source compiled, I'm only left with 10Gb working space on the system.

4) My system, basically the OP's script with mods to make it work for me, on a RPi4b 2Gb is working nicely. One issue though is heat. Believe it or not, I once saw temperature of > 100C! Once it starts throttling (at 80C), the thing slows significantly. I've gone running the Pi "naked" (nothing around the raw board, dangling from an ethernet cable attached to my telescope) until the flirc case I ordered comes in. Any heat control suggestions anyone?

Hy
4 years 7 months ago #41703

You can give my script a try now. I have most of the issues all worked out. There are still just a couple of things that I want to refine, but nothing that should stop you

1. ZRam is awesome. It does cost a little in cpu cycles, but it doesn't hurt the sd card, and it effectively adds RAM. I made a lot of modifications to my script for the new raspbian version, one of them is installing ZRAM differently for the Pi. On the Ubuntu version, it is an installable package, but for Raspbian it is a downloaded and installed script.

2. The way I currently do the INDI and KStars build, it uses the absolute bleeding edge KStars and INDI. It doesn't have to be done that way. You could download the source of the latest release instead and build that. That could be an option I add to my script in the future.

3. I've been using SD cards for my PIs since 2016. I haven't had any issues or corruptions yet. And I've used them quite a lot. But you can probably do something else

4. I don't have a case yet. I've not been happy with what I have seen so far. Right now my Pi4 is used for experimentation. I currently am using my Raspberry Pi 3b's and 3b+ for imaging. So far I haven't seen it get above 80 degrees. I have some small heat sinks on the components to dissipate heat though.
4 years 7 months ago #41720

• Thank you received: 140

I have this case with built in fan and heatsink on my rpi4, £9.99 from amazon

4 years 7 months ago #41735
Attachments:

Yep I have seen those cases on amazon. They are transparent, which is a huge issue at a star party with the led lights. Also how is the dew proofing?

smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071YPZFZ4

I have these cases for all the sbcs I use in the field. I have two for raspberry pi 3bs, one for a 3b+, and another for a rock64. They are very rugged, look great, are opaque, and protect the pi somewhat from dew. But no version for 4b yet.
4 years 7 months ago #41736

Thanks for all that work, this has really helped me a lot. I even ran the script on a non-RPi and it worked pretty well. Just two quick comments:
  • There is a zram-tools package for Raspbian, not sure if you are aware of that. Using that the zram setup might look pretty similar to what you are doing on Ubuntu.
  • You could probably checkout to a particular tag when cloning the git repositories. Perhaps that's something that could be specified via command line or environment variables?
4 years 7 months ago #41746

Time to create page: 1.156 seconds