INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

DIYMall GPS And EKOS

• Thank you received: 15
Hello,

I have a DIYMall USB GPS that is pinging away that it has a lock. EKOS does not seek it. GPSD doesn't see it. GPUSB skips it.

2019-7-26 Driver Indi_gpusb: Skipping device 1546/01a7

I have a rule for this in already. But, GPUSB skipping says it did not like something.

Must I make a rule for EKOS to see it? What should that rule say?
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by John Robison.
4 years 8 months ago #41364

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

Replied by John Robison on topic DIYMall GPS And EKOS

Hello,

After a great mess of attempted fixes, this is the best path to get the DIYMall GPS to work with EKOS. My goal was to prevent hard wiring KSTARS any site. The Diymall Vk-172 vk 172 Gmouse G-Mouse USB GPS Dongle Glonass , (a mouth full), is an inexpensive GPS. This is a USB 2.0 device, only. The USB 3.0 hubs that I wanted to use (compact and small) did not work with this device.

Step 1:
For starters, GPSD on Astroberry is only place to get this device running. First, look hard at what devices are needing a specific port to communicate with hardware. The DIYMall and my AstroEQ are two types of RS232 devices. The RPI3B+ is the next requirement. Websites claim this will work with 3B. I have not verified if the RPI 3B works. Parts of what I write are taken from an AMAZON review for this device.

Source: ChicagoDave (I have edited some syntac errors)

smile.amazon.com/Diymall-G-Mouse-Glonass...ewerType=all_reviews

Update sources
sudo apt-get update

# Install the gps daemon, libraries and NTP
sudo apt-get install gpsd gpsd-clients python-gps ntp # to install the gps daemon and the ntp server

# edit the gpsd config file
sudo vi /etc/default/gpsd

# Add/modify the following lines to the file. They may already exist so just modify. These specify the device explicitly and NTP won't work without the -n
DEVICES="/dev/ttyACM0"
GPSD_OPTIONS="-n"

# save/quit the above, then edit the ntp configuration file
sudo vi /etc/ntp.conf
# Add these lines to ntp.conf:
# gps
server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4 prefer
fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.000 refid GPS stratum 15

# save/quit then reboot

Once that's all done you should be able to type:
cgps -s
...and see a full screen display with the GPS attempting to lock or locking up. If you get a timeout check your work and connections
If NTP is working you should be able to type:
ntpq -p
...and you'll see a line in the resulting text that looks something like this:
*SHM(0) .GPS. 15 l 14 16 377 0.000 3.505 3.556
If "poll" and "reach" are zero it's not working.

END

Step 2:

Edit /lib/udev/rules.d/60-gpsd.rules with sudo pluma /lib/udev/rules.d/60-gpsd.rules.

Add these lines towards the beginning:

# DIYMall GPS/GLONASS device
ATTRS{idVendor}=="1546", ATTRS{idProduct} =="0000" , SYMLINK+="gps$n", TAG+="systemd" , ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}="gpsdctl@%k.service"

Save as 60-gpsd.local.rules and 60-gpsd.rules. The local will preserve the settings if overwritten.

Step 3.

Restart.

Step 4

Open KSTARS and use Device Manager. Select GPSD and start the services. If a clear path to a window, the DIYMall device can see low satellites. Success will be the date, time, longitude and latitude, and elevation are displayed.

Tools

I used Log Viewer and created filters on these key words: udev, USB, ModemManager, and gpsd.

Use these commands to verify the devices are properly registered.

dmesg | grep tty

and

setserial -g /dev/ttyACM[01]

Best regards
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by John Robison.
4 years 8 months ago #41552

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds