INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Indi on RP4 and KStars/Ekos on Mac?

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

Sorry, really dumb question ahead :)

On its way to me is the SW HEQ-5 (belt modded), which is compatible with Indi, right? I’m currently owning the Bresser Exos 2 GoTo that have caused me nothing but trouble, so this should be quite an upgrade for me :)
I’m looking into building a dedicated RP4 Indi Server to place on my mount and then control everything from KStars/Ekos inside on my Mac.

This is the way to do it, right? I’ve been reading a lot about KStars/Ekos on RP (I know it’s not that easy on the RP4 yet), but then you have your RP doing everything (Plate solving, Capturing etc.) and controlling that via VNC or a Browser, correct?

I’d like to start out with just connecting the equipment to the RP4 running Indi and then controlling everything from my Mac, which runs the KStars/Ekos software.

There shouldn’t be any problems installing/compiling Indi with all drivers on the RP4, or what?

Thanks!
Anders
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod with EQDIR cable
ZWO ASI294MC Pro imaging camera
QHY5L-II-C guide camera on 50mm guidescope
DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser
Raspberry Pi 4 4GB running Kstars/Ekos
4 years 8 months ago #41442

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
Hi Anders,
absolutely no problem using the RP4 as Indi server and controlling it from your Mac with KStars.

But you could go even further and have KStars running on the Raspberry as well. I have a RP3b with the entire setup and control it with VNC. Additionally, I have a VNC app on my iPhone. That way I can go to bed while everything is running and have a glance whether everything is working fine.

- Wolfgang
4 years 8 months ago #41447

• Thank you received: 2
Hello Anders,
I am using exactly this setup.
RPI4 is running INDI, which ist automatically started via indiweb.
I am using raspbian, the downside is you have to compile INDI yourself, but the pi4 is powerful enough to do this in a reasonable time.
For now the raspberry is connected to my home wlan,
Kstars is running on my Mac.
All administration of the raspberry ist done via ssh, so no graphical console is needed at all.
But you can of course enable the graphical console, use VNC and install applications like php2, ccciel and others. But KSTARS might be a bit complicated, because it works better on Ubuntu, which is not yet officially available for the pi4.

Regards

Dirk
4 years 8 months ago #41452

Hi Wolfgang and Dirk,

Thanks for your replies.

Dirk, this is exactly what I’m aiming for at first. Next, when Ubuntu Mate becomes available for the RP4, I’ll chance my setup to the full KStars/Ekos setup on the RP4.

Anders
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
4 years 8 months ago #41462

• Thank you received: 140

There are other threads on here about this, and I have a full install of Kstars, INdI, astrometry all working on my rpi4 with the latest raspbian buster OS, and it all runs on the rpi4
You do have to compile it all yourself from Source, but does work very well, in fact on one of the other threads someone has put a link to a full image you can download with all the software already done and working...so that would be easier for you.. :)
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by AstroNerd.
4 years 8 months ago #41463

4 years 8 months ago #41464

Hi Astronerd,

Thanks for your answer.

I read the other threads and found the same method/thread that you mentioned. My issue here that it’s pre-setup as a hotspot. I want to be able to control it all away from home. And as far as I can understand, it’s not super easy to switch between hot spot and ordinary wifi on the RP4, right?
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
4 years 8 months ago #41465

The hotspot is there so you can control away from home in of a field with no internet, that’s the point of the hotspot, it enables you to connect to it wirelessly, if you need internet then when home just connect a network cable to the PI and all good.... simples.. :)
4 years 7 months ago #41489

I'll give it a try :)

Thanks.
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
4 years 7 months ago #41643

• Thank you received: 50
I have just started using my RPi4 loaded with Indi/Ekos/kstars after making use of rlancate’s AstroRaspbianPi script - see this thread www.indilib.org/forum/general/5524-astro...scripts-revised.html
You can choose to run on your home WiFi network or as a hotspot and change from one to the other and back again as you wish.
4 years 7 months ago #41897

Thanks, that’s great news.
SkyWatcher ED80 Pro
4 years 7 months ago #41901

Yes I run the hotspot on a separate wireless USB dongle, and have the internal WiFi connect to my router, I also set up so the hotspot starts at boot, by adding a section to the autostart config file..
Works very well, the script is excellent, apart from the lack of 4K working on the rpi4.. :)
4 years 7 months ago #41916

Time to create page: 0.325 seconds