INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI183MM Pro fails on NanoPi M4

• Thank you received: 182
That could indeed by also my problem:

www.indilib.org/forum/focusers-filter-wh...ars-3-3-3.html#41792

I made the exact same observation: ASI120MM works perfectly, ASI1600MM getting stuck after 1 or 2 images. I never moved passed the focuser, though, I was ascribing the bad behavior to the focuser module, not to the USB3 ports in my NanoPi-M4, which I did not suspect, since the port connects the mount, focuser, guide cam, filter wheel and main imaging camera through a single powered USB hub without any problem. All other components seem to work.

I guess what I need to do is test whether the guide module in KStars 3.3.3 is working normally with the ASI120MM. If it does, then the misbehavior is clearly not the problem of the guide module, but of the port, as you describe.

Thanks for this informative report!

Jo
4 years 7 months ago #42010

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
I see the focuser problem on my SBC mini-pc as well where it used to work on the same hardware so I still suspect a bug in the focuser module. I will finally create sensible logs for this tonight.

Wouter
4 years 7 months ago #42011

• Thank you received: 4
I see that FriendlyElec do an addon HAT for the M4 that adds more USB3 ports and headers for USB2.
www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?route=prod...oduct&product_id=264

That might solve the problem, either with more power for the USB3 ports or by allowing me to use the USB2 ports.

I'll have to see if I can order one from somewhere in the UK
4 years 7 months ago #42012

I don't see how that would be a solution. All my USB input goes into a powered hub and from there to the USB3 ports on the NanoPi. Everything else continues to work fine, e.g. the ASI120 guide cam continues to feed images, FW stays connected as does the mount.
I would expect them to drop out as well, if the USB port cannot provide enough power and therefore drops the connection.

Why only the ASI1600MM?
Last edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Jose Corazon.
4 years 7 months ago #42016

I found this post on the ZWO forum talking about a similar issue on a Rock64. Looks like it may be a kernel problem

bbs.astronomy-imaging-camera.com/viewtop...f=29&t=8253&start=20

Unfortunately all the OS images for the M4 seem to be based on the 4.4 kernel (FriendlyDesktop, Armbian Buster and Armbian Bionic), I'm not sure how easy it is to update the kernel on Armbian
4 years 7 months ago #42026

It definately looks like a kernel problem. I had a play with a dev version of Armbian Bionic that uses kernel 5.0.0 and the camera ran perfectly, at least for the quick testing I was able to do.

With the default 4.4 kernel I could only take 2 or 3 images before it would stop. With 5.0.0 it never stopped, I was even able to loop images and start the video streaming too.

Unfortunately the dev versions of Armbian don't include a desktop, I was able to install enough for testing Ekos but it wouldn't have been useful long term. I wonder whether it will be easier to try to install an updated v4 kernel into the existing desktop Armbian install, rather than trying to install a desktop into what looks like very much a beta dev branch running v5.
4 years 7 months ago #42072

Cracked it!!

I built the dev branch of Armbian from source, installed that and it worked.
The camera works almost perfectly, occasionally I get a message, seemingly from the driver itself that it can't connect, but unplugging the camera and plugging it back in again fixes that every time, and then it runs fine after that.

The only problem with the OS that I've come across so far is that the WiFi driver appears to be missing. Wired networking is fine though.

Does anyone know what driver the WiFi uses on these boards?
Please could someone do an "lsmod" and find the WiFi driver name, as I can't find out what it's called without going back to an old installation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
4 years 7 months ago #42176

If you do an lspci then you should be able to find out which WIFI card you have and you can search for the driver.
4 years 7 months ago #42179

lspci returns nothing at all, I've never seen that before
4 years 7 months ago #42184

Me neither! Weird...
4 years 7 months ago #42185

The driver is rtl8xxxu.

4 years 7 months ago #42189
Attachments:

Thanks, at least I know what to look for now
4 years 7 months ago #42191

Time to create page: 2.828 seconds