INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Restarting guiding after meridian flip

• Thank you received: 76
Question: If a meridian flip happens mid sequence (for example in frame 20 of 100), does guiding auto restart?

The reason I ask is because I noticed last night, after the flip that I had to press the 'guide' button to restart the guiding. The system did do a post flip realign but then just started the next capture in the sequence without starting guiding.

Thanks,
Derek

P.S. this was using the scheduler
4 years 6 months ago #43197

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40
I want to say it normally does. (I've seen it do it plenty of times)

With the new version I haven't actually watched it actually happen. I'll test it with sims later today.
4 years 6 months ago #43199

I've attached logs between the flip start and the capture start. It did do a plate-solve align, but no guiding start :-(

File Attachment:

File Name: no-guide-start.log
File Size:61 KB
4 years 6 months ago #43206
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 40
I tried to do this with sims, but it doesn't guide on anything (makes sense, since there is no star to guide to).

So, it'll have to wait till some good weather... argh!
4 years 6 months ago #43225

Last night I used the exact same scheduler file and it did indeed restart guiding after the flip. I've no idea what happened the previous night to prevent this.
Derek
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Tate
4 years 6 months ago #43261

• Thank you received: 139
Interesting. I do think something is going on though. I used the scheduler in 3.3.6 last night, and my guiding did not resume after a meridian flip. I had to turn it back on. But the flip went correctly otherwise. I think this is possibly a new bug in 3.3.6.
4 years 6 months ago #43282

• Thank you received: 182
Did you have the 'Swap' box checked in the guiding module?

Did you check 'realign after guiding failure' and 'Always Reset Guide Calibration' set in the Ekos/Scheduler Preferences?

I haven't had the chance to check out 3.3.6 in the field yet, just installed Ubuntu MATE on my RPi4 and am now taking darks.

So far so good. Need to see how well it will behave when I program the scheduler for real.

Jo
4 years 6 months ago #43288

• Thank you received: 139
Scheduler performed ok tonight. It did the flip and resumed guiding. Must have been a fluke the first time.
4 years 6 months ago #43294

• Thank you received: 370
Andrew,
do you have the complete log file available from 2019-09-10? The file you've posted starts exactly with the meridian flip. I would like to check whether guiding was running before.

In case you are guiding with PHD2, it would be great if you add the PHD2 guiding and debugging logs as well.

- Wolfgang
4 years 6 months ago #43387

Wolfgang,
Do you mean the file I posted for 2019-09-10? Yes I have the full log. Its quite verbose so I've gzipped it and uploaded it to drive here > drive.google.com/open?id=1RVUOEJsNaTg2DFGfxOMBuaLJkf1vremk
It looks like guiding was indeed working before the flip.
Its very strange, I've had 2 clear night since, using the exact same scheduler file (observing SS Cyg for an AAVSO campaign) and the guiding did start perfectly after the flip.

Derek
4 years 6 months ago #43398

• Thank you received: 370
Derek,
thanks, that was quite helpful. Why the guiding did not start in that night is unclear. The only thing that is special is, that exactly before the meridian flip was executed, a focus routing happened.

I'll check whether I can reproduce it with simulators.

- Wolfgang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek
4 years 6 months ago #43402

Thanks Wolfgang,
Could be difficult to reproduce I think. Its been working fine since that night.
Derek
4 years 6 months ago #43403

Time to create page: 0.371 seconds