INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[Solved] EKOS asks for DSLR resolution, consistently

• Thank you received: 12
New to StellarMate, after I couldn't piece it together on my own- figured just buying the thing would be well worth the time it would take to compile it myself. I wasn't wrong.

I have a Canon 6D. Every time I fire up EKOS, it requests the resolution and pixel pitch of the 6D... twice. This is even though it already has that information stored in the module.

There are a few other issues, which I would like to solve- I will continue to use the 6D separately from the ASI1600MM I'm soon purchasing. I will start here, though; why the continuous request for resolution input? Also, when selecting to allow debug, it switches off automatically- how can I keep debug mode on?

Awesome software, keeps getting better. Glad to help solve issues any way I can.
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Jacob Nowatzke. Reason: Marked as "Solved"
4 years 6 months ago #43220

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Are you running Ekos on SM OS or on your PC? This usually indicates permission or corruption issue with the database used by Ekos. What's the KStars version?
4 years 6 months ago #43221

• Thank you received: 31
Have a look at /home/yourlogin/.indi/SomethingLikeCanon\ DSLR_config.xml on the machine that runs the indiserver.
Open it with your fav. editor :
Search for <oneNumber name='CCD_MAX_X'> and set the proper Hres
Search for <oneNumber name='CCD_MAX_Y'> and set the proper Vres
Do the same for <oneNumber name='CCD_PIXEL_SIZE'> and set it. (if you don't know the size of your Pixel use sensor Hsize / Hres)
Do the same for <oneNumber name='CCD_PIXEL_SIZE_X'> ( sensor Hsize / Hres )
Do the same for <oneNumber name='CCD_PIXEL_SIZE_Y'> ( sensor Vsize / Vres )
Exemple: My Nikon D3100 has a 23.1mm sensor. As I know the pixel is squared, I just need to do 23.1 / 4672 = 0,004944349 So my Pixel size is 4.94 : 4672 is the real Hres of the sensor, not the used Hres (4608).

Save and restart. If it still does not work, then, as Jasem said, your database is corrupted. In that case, just erase the file (?? DSLR-config.xml), the default file and restart the procedure. This time, it should work :)

-Marc
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Marc. Reason: Typo
4 years 6 months ago #43223

I'm using Windows10 on a laptop, to connect to StellarMate via KStars, Build: 2019-08-08T08:50:19Z Version 3.3.4

Attached is screenshot of file stated by Marc2b- I will proceed with delete if necessary?
4 years 6 months ago #43232
Attachments:

What I see of your file seems correct. But the file is much bigger... Best thing to do IMHO is delete this file and the "Canon DSLR_config.xml.default" if there is one. This will clean everything about you 6D. You can then restart the procedure.

- Marc
4 years 6 months ago #43233

Now when I delete this file, reboot the Pi, open KStars on my laptop, then open EKOS and launch, the same box pops up, I enter the sensor res and pixel W and L, I get his error, and no details are entered in the 'image settings' tab:

2019-09-01T04:51:15: [INFO] World Coordinate System is enabled.
2019-09-01T04:51:15: [ERROR] Invalid frame requested (0,0) (0 x 0)
2019-09-01T04:51:15: [INFO] Device configuration saved.
2019-09-01T04:51:15: [INFO] Saving device configuration...
2019-09-01T04:49:43: [WARNING] Failed to load user configuration. Unable to open config file. Error loading file /home/stellarmate/.indi/Canon DSLR_config.xml: No such file or directory. To save user configuration, click Save under the Configuration property in the Options t
2019-09-01T04:49:43: [INFO] Detected Canon Inc. Model Canon EOS 6D.
2019-09-01T04:49:43: [INFO] Canon DSLR EOS 6D is online.

I restart KStars, cycle through, input box pops up, now the resolution and pixel pitch are swapped. I correct, save configuration (it doesn't accept 6.5um, reverts to 6um instead), go back to input box and insert again, it switches the two again (resolution for pitch, and vice versa).

I disconnect DSLR, reconnect, box pops up, I navigate to INDI control panel, KStars crashes as it usually does when something is loading unbeknownst to me and I thusly accidentally click once more anywhere in the program.

I'm up for a reinstall of KStars, but first how do I save my flags and custom deepsky objects?

Best regards,
Jacob
4 years 6 months ago #43325
Attachments:

Jacob,
You are trying to affect wrong data to your profile! You are trying to define a 6x6 pixels image starting at 5505h and 3670v (The END of your image ! ) :) Actually the left column is right. 0,0,5505,3670. Enter those values in the right column, then click "Set". Once this is done go to the "Options" tab and click "Save" then "Reload". Your profile should be set correctly.
BTW, are you sure you want to define a "Small Fine JPEG" for Capture ? Doesn't look like a good idea to me for astrophoto...

- Marc
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Marc.
4 years 6 months ago #43344

I swear that at some point, it had entered a "6", instead of "0", and this switch had happened simultaneously and without my manually switching them up, which I did later on.

Now that that goof up has been addressed, I've tried again with deleting the DSLR config files, rebooting Pi, relaunching KStars, and YES! it did indeed just switch those numbers again!! From top to bottom, I now have 5505,3670,6,6! Woohoo I'm not crazy!
It happens after I delete the DSLR config files, and as soon as I open KStars on laptop, the popup box for res and pitch appear, I enter correctly, then in Image Settings, those numbers are there and in that order. It wasn't me.

Whatever I'm trying here is not solving the issue that this dialog box asking for resolution and pixel pitch continues to appear. So now I'm just back to square one.

As for the "fine jpeg", at first I thought it was because I adjusted it, but I guess not- this is the default after resetting. Further, I spent a few nights under moonless, Bortle 1 skies in National Forest struggling to get KStars and EKOS running correctly- so even with fine jpeg, plate-solving makes three attempts at capturing and receiving a photo before it actually solves. Doing so with RAW would probably have made this process longer, so I'm somewhat glad it is set to fine jpeg, but that issue is for another topic I will start after we solve this issue of the haunting dialog box for Res and Pitch.

I will walk through every issue I've found with my Canon 6D by submitting topics for each issue, because even though I am acquiring an ASI1600mm for the scope, I will continue to use the DSLR on my GM8 next to my G11... that is, when we have worked all the kinks out.

You scared me Mark, I thought it really had been me who had initially switched around those numbers- it is indeed KStars.
4 years 6 months ago #43347

The problem in the database file (~/.local/share/kstars/userdb.sqlite). Delete that and restart KStars.
4 years 6 months ago #43355

I deleted the file locally, on the RPi3, restarted KStars- same thing.
I deleted the file locally, on the RPi3, rebooted, restarted KStars- same thing.
I deleted both the DLSR config and the userdb.sqlite, rebooted, restarted KStars- same thing.

Every time I boot after deleting the DSLR config, those numbers (Post#43347, above) will get switched around.
Every time I boot, as well as each time I click on the CCD module in EKOS, I get the Resolution & Pixel Pitch entry popup.

I am using Windows PC as client; how do I remove KStars userdb on Windows client?
4 years 6 months ago #43410

Open file explorer and go to C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\kstars and then delete userdb.sqlite
4 years 6 months ago #43423

Jasem,

This fixed the issue, no recurrence yet. Thank you.
4 years 6 months ago #43556

Time to create page: 1.037 seconds