INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASTAP astrometry integration

• Thank you received: 8
It doesn't work for me. It seems like any options specified in the field are not actually passed to the solver, which still shows 1 degree in its little window.
Mind, I'm using the "Load & Slew" button, unlike your screencap which shows you're using "Capture & Solve". I don't think Ekos/Kstars is doing the same things when using the two buttons.
4 years 3 months ago #46513

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 92

Replied by han on topic ASTAP astrometry integration

Something strange is happening. The -fov command works only for the Ekos "Capture & solve " button, not for the Ekos "Load & slew" button. That's why I initially reported it doesn't work. This requires further investigation.

The command line option "-fov auto" works for Windows but not for Linux. I have to investigate why that doesn't happen. Note that this option is not ideal. I created it to because I was fed up with finding the image scale for some images without any data. ASTAP goes through all image scales from 9.5 degrees height down to 0.5 degrees with a stepsize of 33% less height each time. Due to the step size this works only for images of reasonable good quality. The option was intended to analyse images from an unknown source, not as a permanent setting.

Han
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by han.
4 years 3 months ago #46514

The "-fov auto" work also in Linux. I didn't see that because in my test virtual machine it was using an old ASTAP version. Note that "-fov auto" disappears as soon you go to an other screen. Then you have to type it again. In the popup window you will see the word "auto". If you see height is 0°, the ASTAP version is too old. It doesn't work for "load and slew" only "capture & solve". It's highly inefficient since it has to search maybe ten times before it finds a match. It helps if you reduce the search area to maybe 10 degrees

The fixed 1 degrees is related to an INDI problem. Maybe Jasem/ @knro can clarify from which INDI version this is fixed.

Han

4 years 3 months ago #46517
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 11

Replied by Craig on topic ASTAP astrometry integration

How do you get to that settings page in ASTAP.

I’m still having intermittent solving issues with ASTAP
4 years 3 months ago #46619

Settings:
Start the ASTAP program. It should be in the menu education or execute /opt/astap/astap Click on the stack menu button Σ (ctrl+A), go to tab alignment. See screenshot below . All settings in the blue rectangle are relevant. There is not much you can change. The "field height image" is forced by the FITS header so changing does not help when using the command line. The only thing you could try is to check mark "slow". And if your final image height is close to 1000 pixel you could set "Tetrahedron tolerance" to 0.007." To save these setting go to the viewer, select File, Settings, Save setting. Or exit viewer via File, Exit (and save settings)

If your having a noisy camera with lot of hot pixels you could experiment with option "Calibrate prior solving" This will apply a dark prior to solving . But up to now this option is very rarely required if ever.

Best way to fix solving problems
Almost all solving problems are due to the wrong field height or a too low image resolution. ASTAP solving is very robust if the correct image and data is provided. You better check the image which was used for solving. Ekos writes the "image to solve" at location /tmp Filename will be something like fitsgd5919.fits. Open this image in the viewer and note the image dimensions in pixels and degrees in the status bar of the viewer. The image height should be 1000 pixels or more. If close to 1000 pixels reduce the binning in Ekos to increase the image height in pixels. Then solve this image using the viewer solve button (or the button in the alignment tab) and see if the image dimensions in degrees change significantly after a successful solve. If so the FOV or sensor size is set wrongly in INDI or INDI has still the Cdelt1,2 bug.

- A solve log is written in the bottom of the stack menu. This could indicate why the solver is having problems to solve.
- You can also have a look in the text file /tmp/solution.ini after solving. This will contain warnings and errors. The same you see in the bottom of the stack menu.
- An other indication is try the button "Test button to show tetrahedrons" or use the CCD inspector from the tools menu viewer. If 30 stars or more are detected solving should be easy.

Finally you can also send me the "image to solve" from /tmp and I will have a look.

Han

4 years 3 months ago #46631
Attachments:

Here is a link to a FITS file that wouldn't solve. Its on Canopus. It wouldn't solve from the app either. I'm not running the latest version of ASTAP though and will be upgrading it today.

drive.google.com/open?id=1AreQOU8wKMZLilxqzGYtWG00TRVeQT1F
4 years 3 months ago #46666

Here is the logs from the session as well. Hopefully this upload works.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_10-45-27.txt.zip
File Size:268 KB
4 years 3 months ago #46667
Attachments:

I just upgraded to v 0.9.305a and its still not solving that image.

Here is a screen shot of that settings page when the solving fail's
4 years 3 months ago #46668
Attachments:

I just upgraded to v 0.9.305a and its still not solving that image.

Here is a screen shot of that settings page when the solving fail's
4 years 3 months ago #46669

I checked the image in nova.astrometry.net. Astrometry.net can solve it, but it also finds just 14 stars. From this solve i can see that header data and therefore your settings are correct.

The 14 stars is in this case not enough for ASTAP. It will work reliable if it finds 25 to 30 stars. The exposure time of 3 seconds combined with a long focal length isn't producing enough stars. So just set the exposure time to 20 or 15 seconds and it will work.

Han

Astrometry.net log1:
14 matches, 22 distractors, 0 conflicts (at best log-odds); 1699 field sources, 18 index sources
14 matches, 1685 distractors, 0 conflicts (all sources)
4 years 3 months ago #46684

If you get it working (tell me), you could uncheck "slow" to speed up. Forcing "slow" doesn't help in this case when only a few stars are detected. It will slow down automatically.
4 years 3 months ago #46685

Time to create page: 1.382 seconds