INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

possible to set fractional second delay in Ekos capture?

• Thank you received: 2
Is it possible to do the following?

set camera to take 5 exposures per second, each exposure 10 milliseconds long and each exposure recorded in a fits file?

Thanks.
4 years 5 months ago #44991

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 420
It looks like this is not possible. There is a Delay input in the CCD tab of Ekos but that only accepts integer values.

Wouter
4 years 5 months ago #44992

I wonder what the reason for this would be.

Wouldn't it be a desirable feature for lucky imaging, speckle, DIMM?
4 years 5 months ago #45029

• Thank you received: 160
What kind of camera would this be? 5 images per second, less 5x 10ms per exposure would require the cam to be read out within 190ms.
4 years 5 months ago #45044

I'm working with ZWO ASI cameras, 290 and 183. ZWO claims the 183 can run at 19 frames per second at full resolution.

It's a little embarrassing to ask since I guess that people using lucky imaging use the streaming video output. But if one wants to end up with fits files, they will need to burst the SER files and convert to fits.

OTOH the integer second base unit for delay seemed not to be tied to the hardware.

Thanks.
4 years 5 months ago #45048

• Thank you received: 160

Ah, yes, that's streaming. AFAIK this is different from taking single exposures in the sequence queue. In the Live Video window you can set the "video frame duration in seconds" (at least this is what the tool tip says). Maybe set this to 0,05s, record a SER stream and extract FITS from it later. I don't know whether this feature works as expected though.

For moon and planets ppl use SER streams anyway and for deep sky 50ms appears to be way too short. Sorry, that was 200ms. Anyway, this is extremely short.
Last edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Alfred.
4 years 5 months ago #45052

• Thank you received: 809
No it’s probably just in the KStars code and could be very easily changed.

However, I am not sure that it would be a good idea to change it. One issue I could see is that the timing might not be perfect. Many INDI users use INDI over a network. There are network delays in transmission. Typically this is not a huge deal with 5 minute exposures where a slight delay makes no difference, but I could foresee an issue with shorter timing. If you want 5 frames per second and you were to put a delay in there with the intent to make it happen, you could end up actually getting 3 frames per second or something. If you don’t care then that’s fine, but if we put that in KStars people will expect the delay to accurately time the exposures to fractions of a second and I don’t think we can.

That being said, with a ZWO I have gotten 20 frames per second even over WiFi with INDI. But I’m not sure we could always guarantee that the timing would work that accurately
4 years 5 months ago #45053

Time to create page: 0.670 seconds