INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

What means always for resetting guiding calibration

• Thank you received: 41
The problem with the current implementation is that is applied on the Guide module, unrelated with the Scheduler one, but the configuration parameter to always reset calibration is inside the Scheduler configuration. This is very misleading, because users that are not using the scheduler will don't know why now the guider behaviour differs from previous versions. In my case, I've been struggling over a week, trying to understand why PHD2 was now loosing the calibration after each slew. Only when I read the source code for this patch, I understand that the problem is related with the scheduler option. I'll recommend to move this option directly to the guide configuration where it belongs if the logic to associate it with the scheduler state is so complex.
4 years 1 month ago #49847

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182

Wherever that check box ends up, doesn't matter to me. By now I know Ekos and its behavior inside out, having tested all possible combinations. I know where every box is and what it is doing (I hope).
Key is that the option remains in the code, because if not, my mount and that of several other users would become unusable. When using the internal guider, recalibration is pretty fast, hardly noticeable, but I agree, PHD2 is S-L-O-W and thus it could be a drag on PHD2 users. Personally, I do not understand why anyone is using PHD2. The internal guider works just fine.

But simply unchecking that box will solve the issue, simple enough, I hope.
4 years 1 month ago #49855

Which box are we talking about here?
4 years 1 month ago #49857

• Thank you received: 41
We are talking about this checkbox:

It's inside the Scheduler configuration, but it affects all guide operations. I think that it must be renamed to "Reset calibration after each mount slew" and moved to the Guider calibration configuration:

Obviously I'm not asking about removing this feature, because it's useful. I'm only proposing a change in the way that it's shown to the users. I try to reduce the confusion that the current placement / implementation is causing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Rafa Barberá.
4 years 1 month ago #49861
Attachments:

Alright, it's done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon, Rafa Barberá
4 years 1 month ago #49862

• Thank you received: 226
As El Corazon said, we get accustomed to the way things are, where they are located and what they do. But it's frequently changes like this that happen in the background that are a source of confusions to those who do not follow ongoing development closely. As these changes can be subtle, and not at all apparent. It would be nice if KStars included a basic changelog, perhaps with links to a related development thread for more information.

Example, a note in the changelog could say.
-Change to force guiding calibration will now clear recalibration on each slew when option to always reset calibration is enabled.
And
- Always reset calibration option has been moved from the scheduler options to the guiding options.

So just having a place of reference to look first when caught off guard by new changes would be very helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, Jose Corazon
4 years 1 month ago #49930

Time to create page: 1.122 seconds