INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to plan a full session with Lights, Darks, Bias and Flats with a DSLR?

• Thank you received: 1
Dear all,

I have a Sony A7RIII dslr cam, that works very well with my RPI 4 with Astroberry 2.0. But I don't understand how to take Bias and Flats inside an entire sequence. I understand that a full sequence have a configuration line for Lights, Darks, Bias and Flats, with some human interaction for example to cover the scope for the darks and to cover with a T-Shirt for the flats, but the rest of interactions are inside the sequence lines.
  1. Lights and Darks: Before start I select the mode bulb manually in my cam. Lights and Darks have the same ISO and exposure time, the only manual interactio is cover the scope with the balck cover
  2. Bias: ISO is the same than Lights and Darks, but the exposure time needs to be changed to the fastest exposure time of my cam. Sony A/RII have a minum exposure time of 1/8000 sec = 0,000125. I can put this little value in Ekos?, I need to go to the cam and change the bulb mode to manul mode?
  3. Flats: the easy mode with a dslr is to select the same ISO than Lights and Darks, put the cam in AV mode and the cam select automatically the correct exposure time. But in Ekos how I need to configure this sequence line?, and I need to go to the cam to change any parameter manually?

I'm finding the minimal manual interactions with my cam, because I'm inside my home, but I think probably taht with a DSLR is not easy to do this....

Please, any suggestion?.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english.

Jose
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by JOSE MANUEL SUAREZ ROMAN.
4 years 3 months ago #46482

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41
I’m in the same boat, Jose. Are there any experienced DSLR user that can give us some walk around about how to build a full image session? Thanks in advance!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JOSE MANUEL SUAREZ ROMAN
4 years 3 months ago #47027

• Thank you received: 420
When I used to image with a DSLR, I never created one sequence containing all types of images. Depending on whether I started imaging at dusk I would take flats before the lights, otherwise after. Darks I would take during the day though this would occasionally be a problem if the temperature would be very different. Bias I only took once during the day and I would reuse them for a year. But for all types I would create a separate sequence to have maximum control over what I was doing.

Actually, now that I use a cooled monochrome camera that really hasn’t changed at all. The only differences are that I need to take flats for all different filters and that I can take darks at the same temperature as the lights due to active cooling on the camera.

HTH, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rafa Barberá
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
4 years 3 months ago #47261

• Thank you received: 41
Thank you Wouter, I'm working in my darks library!
4 years 2 months ago #47390

• Thank you received: 40
With a DSLR you need to take DARKS and BIAS when you do your filming since you can control the temps (something I'm loving with my new ZWO1600).

What I did was install a filter wheel and had one of my filters slots as BLACK. I had to play some games with using flocking material and keep it as far away from my open slot, but it worked.

Then you plan it out just like you would do in the Mono world.

FLATS on the other hand, I did in the morning. Since they are quick and temps are not an issue, I had no problems doing them separately.
4 years 2 months ago #47394

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds