INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How Customisable is Weather Watcher?

• Thank you received: 16
I've made a meteostation and a SQM-meter that both act as a web server. The SQM-meter creates a webpage that shows a time stamp and the light level (in Mpsas) in a format that the Weather Watcher driver in Ekos can read.
These values are read by the meteostation, which combines the light value with other measurements (temperature, cloud, pressure, humidity, and dew point) and publishes the result also on a simple web page.
I read the output from the meteostation into Ekos via the Weather Watcher driver. The problem is that the driver doesn't use the same parameters that my station reports. I can of course change labels in the options tab of the driver, but that doesn't change much. It will just result in that "light" is reported as "Wind", for example.
Is it possible to customise the parameters in the driver, eg through a skeleton file? If so, how do I do this? Or can/should I use another driver for my weather station? I like the fact that the station is stand alone, and doesn't need to be connected to my INDI computer, and I would like to keep it that way.
Here's what the output from the meteostation looks like:

timestamp=20191206-17:12:51
skytemp=13.19
forecast=1.000
temperature=21.16
pressure=985.12
humidity=37.99
dew_point=6.27
light=0.41
4 years 3 months ago #46611

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 62
the parameters are coded in the WeatherWatcher driver so you cannot customize in the way you need.
But it should not be difficult to abstract the name of the parameters reading them from the driver configuration or an external file.
I've quickly checked in the source code, the parent classes of the driver doesn't make use of any of the parameter names in WW (e.g. 'wind' or 'temperature') so changing them dynamically should not harm the rest of the environment.
About the 'light'/ 'wind' hack: be aware that some of these parameters (marked as critical) are used to trigger actions like shutting down the observatory if the parameter is in a danger range. As far as i know these are: temp, wind, rain and weather forecast. I would not recommend but in case I would rather use 'wind gust' as fake parameter.
ferrante
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wim van Berlo
4 years 3 months ago #46629

• Thank you received: 16
Thanks.
I just had a look at the source code, and as you noted, the names are hard coded into the driver. Right now, I'm not too keen on rewriting that driver. But if I pursue this and get serious about automating my observatory, I might just do that.
4 years 3 months ago #46632

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds