INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guiding restarts after meridian flip. I have guiding off.

• Thank you received: 139
I have a 10Micron mount. I'm imaging without guiding and my first night out I'm seeing some issues crop up. Since I'm running unguided, the meridian flip initiates guiding after the flip even though I have guiding off and off in the scheduler. In my early tests tonight before performing a flip, I tried with and without guiding, and the images looked better without guiding. Could there be an option to resume guiding with the flip that can be turned on and off?
4 years 3 months ago #47160

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ok, this is odd. I've been watching it closely all night, and guiding has started periodically twice all by itself. Despite having it off everywhere. I'll submit logs later on.
4 years 3 months ago #47162

Here's my last few logs.

File Attachment:

File Name: logs.zip
File Size:957 KB
4 years 3 months ago #47167
Attachments:

I really struggled with this last night. Finally kept guiding on despite the settings interfering with the quality of my images. But EKOS had some issue where it would stop being able to send slew commands to the mount. This happened over and over in addition to the guiding issue. I had to quit EKOS and KStars and restart them to be able to slew again. The mount continued to track all night despite issues with KStars/EKOS. :( I feel like this has been one of the least stable versions released in a while. Lots of changes have been made under the hood. These issues should show in the above logs that I attached.
4 years 3 months ago #47178

• Thank you received: 370
In the log file from December 22nd that should explain what happens:

[2019-12-22T22:25:04.190 CST INFO ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide] - Starting non-guiding dither...
[2019-12-22T22:25:04.191 CST DEBG ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide] - dither ra_msec: 439 ra_polarity: -1 de_msec: 341 de_polarity: -1
[2019-12-22T22:25:04.191 CST INFO ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide] - Non-guiding dither successful.

[2019-12-22T22:49:47.141 CST INFO ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - "Performing post flip re-calibration and guiding..."
[2019-12-22T22:49:47.191 CST INFO ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide] - "Calibration is cleared."
I guess you have checked "Always Reset Guide Calibration" in the scheduler's options. Give it a try with this option unchecked, since clearing a guiding calibration does not make sense when you simply want to use dithering, but not guiding.

- Wolfgang
4 years 3 months ago #47179

There are several entries in the log file from December 23rd like this one:
[2019-12-22T22:49:46.149 CST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - LX200 10micron : "[SCOPE] <setObjectRA> "
[2019-12-22T22:49:46.149 CST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - LX200 10micron : "[SCOPE] CMD <:Sr 05:24:01.55#> "
[2019-12-22T22:49:46.150 CST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - LX200 10micron : "[SCOPE] CMD <:Sr 05:24:01.55#> failed. "
[2019-12-22T22:49:46.150 CST DEBG ][           org.kde.kstars.indi] - LX200 10micron : "Error setting RA/DEC. "
I'm afraid there is something wrong with your mount or it's connection to the INDI server.

- Wolfgang
4 years 3 months ago #47180

Thanks for taking a look Wolfgang. I'll check that setting for the scheduler. As for the mount errors, I have no idea what's causing this, but that's similar to the error I see in the interface. It says slewing on the overview page, but in the feed at the bottom it says that error message. I've always had my mounts connected through USB prior to this mount. I tried WIFI first but it seems to periodically lose that connection, so I connected a lan cable, and that's where those error messages come from. I have a power line adapter allowing ethernet to go through my electrical cabling in the walls of my home. I wonder if that's introducing some errors. I can connect the mount with a Serial/USB cable, so I'll try that tonight.

I also noticed some erroneous plate solve errors. After solving a few times at the same object (Say M57 is identified), it will suddenly say that the plate solve is solving a star and that the plate solve is off by 343525232.23 x 23425232.23 even though I have not moved the mount. Any chance you see something like that in the logs?

Growing pains with this new mount...It was a supposed to be easier to use, lol. I'll get there eventually.
4 years 3 months ago #47187

Nope, there is nothing in the logs. Maybe it was another night?
4 years 3 months ago #47189

Here's last two logs of the night. Hopefully the strange plate solves are in one of those. Also, my mount was parked in the morning (had it set in the scheduler to do this) but EKOS was locked up and I had to force quit. Anything in the log that would show what might have caused this?

File Attachment:

File Name: Archive2.zip
File Size:2,161 KB
4 years 3 months ago #47198
Attachments:

Another thing that appears to not be working is non guided dithering. Here's what my frames look like trying it with that feature turned on and guiding/dithering turned off.

4 years 3 months ago #47204
Attachments:

Big improvement in tonight’s connectivity. I connected the mount via Serial/USB instead of LAN or WIFI. No more drop outs or erroneous plate solves. I’m guiding tonight since the Non-Guide dither pulses don’t appear to work. The mount seems to like this more. I’m also using the INDI server at the Pi instead of running KStars/EKOS. I’ve been able to run without issue so far.
4 years 3 months ago #47207

Time to create page: 0.346 seconds