INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Autofocus - issue with Altair camera

• Thank you received: 0
I am in the process of setting up an imaging system with EQMod. A Raspberry Pi runs INDI - connected to the SynScan, an Altair GPCAM 290M and a HitecAstroDC focuser. A client computer then runs KStars/Ekos which connects via the local network to the Pi.

Everything works perfectly, until I try to use the focuser in combination with the camera. When I click the autofocus button in Ekos, the log shows "Please wait for image capture to complete" and then "Capturing image...", but nothing else. I've tried changing the exposure (all to values below 1 second) with no avail. If I click "Stop" to abort focusing, I regain control of the mount - but can no longer capture any images with the camera manually. Interestingly, clicking "expose" in the INDI control panel counts down the remaining time correctly, but then does nothing after reaching zero, when before a window would pop up in KStars with the image. Furthermore, I've also had a message about a broken TTY pipe, suggesting an issue solely with the image transfer from the Pi.

I had a look through the log files I could find on the Pi side (which runs Ubuntu 19.10) but could not see anything glaring. I am probably missing something obvious - but thanks for any advice all the same!
4 years 3 months ago #47285

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So capture works OK in capture module (preview..etc) up until focus module is engaged?
4 years 3 months ago #47286

Yes - seems to work fine at first. After engaging the focus module, it no longer functions.

Thanks for helping!
4 years 3 months ago #47287

If you click the "Reset" button in focus module, does that help in anyway to restore capture functionality?
4 years 3 months ago #47288

Okay - I've made some progress. The issue appears to be with the Altair driver - 1080p images are never successfully transferred to the client. Running the autofocus system seems to reset the setting in INDI to 1920x1080, regardless of its previous value. This then caused all other image modes to fail, but changing the setting back in the control panel restored full functionality.
Once I managed to make the focus module run at 800x600 - and the expected behaviour occurred, asking me to select a star. However I have not yet reproduced this result.
So I guess the issue is now clearly not with the focus module and instead with the CCD system. I am wondering if there is some way to specify the resolution explicitly for the autofocus procedure as a temporary workaround?

Thanks again for your time.
4 years 3 months ago #47290

I think I've found the root of the problem. I removed the camera from the scope and installed the supplied fisheye lens designed for use as a standalone CCTV camera. This gave an image, at the specified resolution, but only of the top-left part of the frame.
I started from 960x540 - quarter of the advertised maximum - and worked up from there through the 16:9 ratio. As I increased the resolution, the visible portion increased from the top-left quarter to showing slightly more of the bottom and right. Eventually, at 1536x864, the same behaviour as for 1920x1080 occurred and no images were transferred to the client.
I then tried the same thing using CCDciel connected to INDI and saw exactly the same pattern repeat. However, using the supplied AltairCapture software and a direct USB connection gave an expected image of 1920x1080 resolution and showing the full frame.

As this problem is clearly outside Ekos, I've started a new topic under CCDs and DSLRs, linked here: indilib.org/forum/ccds-dslrs/6189-altair...g-cropped-frame.html

Thanks again for all your efforts in helping me!
4 years 3 months ago #47292

You can also try reduce USB speed in controls and then capture at full resolution. See if that helps.
4 years 3 months ago #47312

Wow - that works! It was set to 2.00, and changing it to 0 solved the issue. Thanks!
4 years 3 months ago #47313

Time to create page: 0.773 seconds