INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Bias frames - No data/empty?

• Thank you received: 15
In general, bias, darks, flats and lights should be taken at same offsets, and gain, and temperature. Unless you use PixInsight which can do a dark optimisation where the dark temperature (and dark exposure) not necessarily has to match with the lights or the flats.

But if you already have lights with an offset of 8 and therefore too low for meaningful biasses, I would just take darks with the same offset/gain/temp as the lights and only do the dark subtraction. Use many darks (20+). Any fixed pattern noise is part of the darks (if it's not clipped due to the small offset).

If you subtracted biasses taken with a higher offset than your lights have, you would "eliminate" noise patterns which are not present (because they are clipped) in your lights due to their lower offset.
4 years 1 month ago #49108

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can you let Ekos create FITS format with your DSLR? Maybe one can trust the FITS header more than the Exif data.
4 years 1 month ago #49109

Did some more testing with my ASI294‘s bias frames. After powering on the cam and doing bias frames with shortest possible exposure I get correct frames with a median value as expected (depending on the offset I chose). But once I do exposures > 1 s (all fine with them) and then do bias frames < 1 s again, these frames are all zero. The magic threshold here is 1 s; above it‘s OK, below it‘s all black. Until I powercycle the cam.

In light frames > 1s I notice an all zero pixel column to the very right of the image. Maybe they are opaque covered „dark pixels“ for doing an automatic dark correction? Some CMOS sensors have this feature. Maybe some sort of auto dark offset correction kicks in once the first exposure was taken > 1s? For astro purposes, I think this should be deactivated in the cam‘s firmware (or whatever code is responsible for that)...

Anyway, I now do only use frames > 1s exposure, be it light (of course :) ), dark, flat or flat-dark. And I don‘t use bias frames at all. The 294 has so high amp glow, it doesn‘t help being able to scale bias-corrected dark frames as PixInsight can (for example). And in the end, my images look quite OK, so no problem... But I would like to understand that behaviour.

CS, Bernd
3 years 9 months ago #55464

Time to create page: 0.437 seconds