INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guide camera not taking exposures on RPI4

• Thank you received: 1
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been raised before. I recently bought a RPI4 and loaded up the latest RPI4 compatible version of Ekos. I connected everything up and took it for a spin. Everything was working fine, until I tried to capture an image with my guide camera (ASI120MM Mini). I tried to capture a 1 sec image. It counted down, then got stuck at 0.01 sec.

I changed USB ports, cables etc. I then swapped back to the RPI3 and it worked fine, so there appears to be a problem with this camera on RPI4.

Rene
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Rene.
4 years 2 months ago #47830

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 6
I had the same experince Friday night, first time I used my RPI4 with the latest Stellarmate/KStars version. The ASI120MM Mini (guidecam) attached to my new ASI533MC Pro (first light) - no pictures from the 120MM. I then attached the 120MM to one of the USB2 ports on the RPI4, same issue - no pictures.
Then I tried to do some streaming, that did the trick, I was now able to get pictures from the 120MM. That's what I did the rest of the evening if I rebooted Stellarmate (first time setup).
Looks like clear skies tomorrow evening as well, then I'll check if I can do the same with the 120MM attached directly to the 533MC.
Otherwise, it worked flawlessly, HEQ5 mount, GPS unit, 120MM mini, 533MC, ethernet to my laptop in the heated garden shed :-)
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Keld Henningsen.
4 years 2 months ago #47849

• Thank you received: 1
Cheers for that. I'll try that over the weekend. Unfortunately here in Sydney we aren't having great weather so will have to do it inside until the clouds and fire haze clears.

Rene
4 years 2 months ago #47859

You could test it any time, I’d rather spend a cloudy evening on preparing for clear skies :-)
4 years 2 months ago #47863

Shooting right now, I have had issues with the 120MM mini several times tonight, restarted SM, unplugged the camera etc. to get it running. There’s no apparent way to make it work, streaming does not seem to work every time.
I tried to enable logging, but didn’t work - just realized I needed to enable it in the “Logs” menu :)
Next time.
4 years 2 months ago #47897

I have just installed SM 1.5.0 on my RPi4 and Kstars 3.4.0 on my laptop. Testing if everything is ok, so far no problems capturing from either the ASI533 or the ASI120Mini.
I've also tried to use Astap for plate solving, used an M82 image taken with the ASI533/200PDS setup - no problems, it's lightning fast! I've used ansvr so far, it struggles plate solving the same image.
4 years 1 month ago #49575

I also just pushed an update for the ASI driver since it defaults to 16bit and older ASI120 struggles with that.. so now it automatically switches to 8-bit for 120 cameras if the capture fails.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keld Henningsen
4 years 1 month ago #49658

Time to create page: 0.379 seconds