INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problem with polar alignment in southern hemisphere?

• Thank you received: 420
Thanks for the report. The issue has been fixed and the fix will be available in the next release of KStars. If you are adventurous you might consider switching to the nightly builds and give the fix a try. Do note, however, that the nightly builds are not meant to used for real imaging but only for testing.

Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig
3 years 11 months ago #51435

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I wouldn't say the problem is fixed, I just added a toggle to reverse the vector. Still, I do not know why it is reversed for some people. It is not just North vs South hemisphere.. even folks in north hemisphere reported the same problem.

So what would be a reason for it to be reversed?

1. Optical system?
2. Mount rotation direction? east vs. west?
3. Location of pole relative to center of mount rotation? some some positions need a reversed vector?
4. Combination of multiple factors?
3 years 11 months ago #51467

• Thank you received: 19
Hello Jasem

as soon as I'm through with the AP experimental driver, may be next week, I'll try to use ccd_simulator to get more insight.

Kind regards, wildi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 11 months ago #51469

• Thank you received: 23
I too am having the same problem and arrived at the same solution - do the exact opposite of what the tool is telling me!
To your questions;
1. aligned with finder scope (upper left hand of primary, only roughly aligned) - ZWO290MM mini camera mounted upside down in the refractor (to orient the image in teh right way visually)
2. My mount rotates in the specified direction - always west ( I can try east if that helps) (that is weights rise to the east, OTA sinks into the west)
3. No matter what I did with the mount Ekos always reports "mount is oriented to the top left of the celestial pole" (or similar language) - that strikes me as odd
4. Please NO! ;-)

When I was trying to diagnose the problem I thought it was strange that the tool indicated the the celestial pole was not visible in the FOV but when I looked at where the mount had solved to in the kstars planetarium it looked it a). it WAS in the FOV and b). the orientation of the sensor as indicated didn't seem to match what I saw in the eyepiece (inverted)

So I am thinking a bug in the WCS/solver when close to the pole and/or the FOV crossing the meridian?
3 years 11 months ago #52301

• Thank you received: 19
Hello xthestreams

I noticed that astrometry.net has difficulties once the center of the image is close to CP. That's natural. Let's assume we have a resolution in declination of 1 arcsec/pixel. In RA direction the resolution is the same at the equator but the closer to the CP the resolution increases unbounded e.g. 10 degree/pixel. The pixel "on" the CP has no defined resolution.

I suggest to separate this aspect, do the alignment at dec = 80 deg and repeat it several times. Of course, the idea is only to see if the results are reproducible, but surely not use them to correct the alignment.

Kind regards, bye, wildi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andres Rossi, Paul Muller
3 years 11 months ago #52326

Great idea, will try when Melbourne isn’t cloudy at night, expect a reply in 2021 ;-)

In all seriousnessFriday should be good for testing, if there are other ideas I’ll add them to my list.

Now to figure out why you Mac k stars crashes/loses connectivity to my RPi sleeps
3 years 11 months ago #52392

There is a calculation done in KStars for the direction in which the pink arrow should point and this sometimes gives the wrong result. It is unclear why. As a workaround Jasem has implemented a checkbox that allows you to reverse the direction of the arrow in case the polar alignment is affected by the calculation. Unfortunately, this workaround is not available yet in the stable release of KStars. Until such is the case, you’ll simply need to remember to make sure that the END of the pink arrow is over the star that you’ll be using to improve the polar alignment rather than the START.

HTH, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig, Paul Muller
3 years 11 months ago #52395

Thanks Wouter - just to add for anyone who is having this problem, if you are WAY off on your initial alignment you may not be able to see the little red "cross hair" that is mentioned in the instructions (the fact that there is also a purple set of cross hairs may even add to your confusion given the bug - as it did for me).

If this is the case, then you should use the purple cross hairs as a proxy for the red one you will se as you get closer to PA, what you need to do is;
1). do your three alignment photos as per the standard alignment process
2). when the results are computed you will see a PA error in degree/minutes/seconds - the SCALAR for this is accurate, the VECTOR is not (ie: the size of the error is correct, it's just telling you the wrong direction) - you will need to do the opposite of what is said on the instructions with regards to the pink line.
3). To help you guide, I recommend you position the cursor with the pink target finder/cross hairs somewhere on the screen as though there is an imaginary line that continues from the end of the pink line all the way down as far as you can go on your screen - for this reason it's usually best to double click somewhere on teh results screen to move the end of the pink line to create as much space as possible to create your "virtual line" (it will make more sense with screen shots i am sure - PM me if you need help).
IGNORE ANY INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT SELECTING A BRIGHT STAR, you will use your pink target icon to make your own virtual star
4). once you've done this (moved the pink line) click next and start refreshing as per the instructions - now move your mouse pointer over the results screens (where you can see the star field) and place BUT DO NOT CLICK) so that the pointer/target icon is floating on an imaginary vector that joins the tip of the pink line in one continuous line to wherever you place the pointer/target icon - this becomes your "virtual star"
5). now adjust your RA and DEC to get the tip of the pink line to move towards your "target" virtual star - remember we are doing this just so we can get the scope closer to the SCP/NCP so that we can see the little red target that Wouter mentions.
6). then follow Wouters inductions as above, the hardest part will be remembering to do the exact opposite and then of course to line up your star with the very end of the TINY little pink line, but it is possible to get within a few arc seconds with a little practice.
7). wait for the fix/workaround :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Craig
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Paul Muller.
3 years 11 months ago #52396

SO the great news is that I found the new feature for "flipping" but it's only on the RPi user interface at the moment as far as I can see - is that correct?

You want to know something really strange - on my Mac I need to "flip" (which I can't so I use the procedure above) and on the RPi I don't.

Was going to offer to test again tonight but I've got clear skies for a few hours and I am thinking I'll capture some data to keep me company during the cloudy nights this week.
3 years 9 months ago #55548

Here's a strange one - when I am using the RPi version of teh client (ie: VNC from teh RPi) it's fine - no "flip" required. When I align from my Mac - the problem occurs.

Go figure...
3 years 9 months ago #55638

What version of KStars do you use on the RPi and what version on the Mac? I think Preference -> About KStars on the RPi and KStars -> About KStars on the Mac would probably be a good place to look for this.
3 years 9 months ago #55649

Mac 3.4.3
Stellarmate 3.4.3

I'll check again tonight and let y'all know whether there's still a difference. I only updated the Mac client two weeks ago and can't recall if I've PA'd since then
3 years 9 months ago #55697

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds