INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Starting and Stopping V-Curves

• Thank you received: 0
How do I stop and start V-curves?

Sometimes I want to use other methods of focusing (specially with spectroscopy), or just using the focus view to drift align etc. However once started I can't seem to stop the V-curve data being acquired. If I don't keep hitting the clear data button, the amount of memory used freezes the whole of EKOS/kStars.

I'm sure this must be in the documentation somewhere, but for the life of me I cannot find it.
4 years 2 months ago #48461

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117
The Auto Focus button (3rd row down on left of GUI) starts the V curve. You can stop the process with the stop button to the immediate right (Stop).
4 years 2 months ago #48464

Thanks for the quick reply.

The stop button stops acquiring images, but when I start again the v-curves restart. How do I re-start continuously taking images (e.g. via the "Start Framing" button) without starting v-curves?
4 years 2 months ago #48467

Ok, now I see your issue. Whether Auto Focus or framing, the V curves data points are plotted with each exposure/calc. I don't think these can currently be disabled while either auto or framing are running. The clear button is the only way to remove the points. It's a nice suggestion (disable points) though as there are certainly times (manual focus for example) when a simple HFR number suffices. For now, I think only the clear button achieves what you want....even if a nuisance to do so repeatedly.
4 years 2 months ago #48469

• Thank you received: 420
How about using the loop button in the guide tab? You will need to select the imaging camera instead of the guide camera there but that should work.
4 years 2 months ago #48471

• Thank you received: 133
It's not really clear what you want - only an updating display of the camera image, or do you want the HFD info, just not the history of it? Just images you'd get from the camera tab (preview loop), but if the plotting eats all your memory I'd say there's a different problem there...
4 years 2 months ago #48491

I think I experienced exactly the issue last night when I was trying to find first focus on my new guider setup. I set the imaging ccd to be the guider ccd, and then used the focus tab to adjust guider focus manually. I looped to see the updating subframe image and HFR calc, but didn't really need the graph output. When you don't have a focus motor, the graph just puts on a sequence # (1-N sample) as it loops (as opposed to the focus motor position). If you're running 1 second updates, and you're struggling to find the focus (like I was last night), then you end up clearing the V points in the graph while it's updating as they just keep stacking more densely. I never ran out of memory, but the points are a bit of a nuisance in that special case. I think a simple checkbox to enable/disable (default=enabled) that graph might be nice. It's a specialized use case where all you want is the loop mode, image w/wo subframe, and HFR calc.
4 years 2 months ago #48500

Thanks you all.

Using the loop button on the camera tab does what I need.

I knew I was missing something obvious!

Ta,

Eliot
4 years 2 months ago #48521

Time to create page: 0.694 seconds