INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Crazy meridian flips!

• Thank you received: 155
Has anyone else had EKOS just start doing meridian flips for no reason? I was imaging along with no major issues when suddenly it decided to do a meridian flip- almost two hours from the meridian. The mount swung around but of course had to go back the other way again since it really couldn’t reach the target yet. This happened about every ten minutes of tracking and each time it tried to find a guide star, the whole imaging session ended because the auto star bug failed to find a guide star ( see my previous post on that). I quite KStars and tried imaging again. Same thing happened again! After three inappropriate flips I got so frustrated that I called it a night and gave up.

Each time the mount was tracking correctly, synced to the target, and KStars showed the correct location. The date and time was correct.

This has never happened before. EKOS is now so unreliable that I am ready to give it up entirely. It used to have a minor bug here and there, but now it is completely unusable for me. And I have not changed any of my equipment or operating system in two years.

Is there anyone who has a reliable, working system?
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Peter Kennett.
4 years 2 months ago #48534

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Crazy meridian flips!

Meridian flips are now expressed in hours not degrees. If you were not aware of that change it would be easy to accidentally specify 2 hours instead of 2 degrees.
4 years 2 months ago #48535

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic Crazy meridian flips!

Yikes! Maybe that’s it!

I will check and see if I have that set wrong!
But what about the auto star function? It still fails every time in both the guider and focuser.
4 years 2 months ago #48536

• Thank you received: 420
Let’s discuss your autostar question in your other thread please.
4 years 2 months ago #48540

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic Crazy meridian flips!

I just checked, and it is set as "Flip if HA > 2.25 degrees". There was an option to use "hours" but that was not checked.

Peter
4 years 2 months ago #48544

• Thank you received: 226

Replied by Andrew on topic Crazy meridian flips!

Can you check the behaviour using the simulators and also try entering it in terms of hours?
4 years 2 months ago #48558

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Crazy meridian flips!

I've had issues similar to yours in the past, and in my case it's always been the mount. That is, the mount no longer had its home position correct for one reason or another (so what it thought was straight up, wasn't really straight up). To solve that, I follow Jasem's suggestions in this link: stellarmate.com/support/faq/mounts.html?view=faq&faqid=33

Hy
4 years 2 months ago #48559

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds