INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Nexdome slews to 270 degrees every time I sync with mount - Rasp Pi 4

• Thank you received: 2
I did post this before a while back but tried the suggestion and no change.
My equipment:
Nexdome observatory with motors
EQ6-R Pro mount
Raspberry Pi 3 (trying to upgrade to 4)
Stellarmate OS running EKOS / KStars

All runs great on the Raspberry Pi3 which I have Stellarmate installed on.
I'm trying to upgrade to a much faster Pi 4, running either Stellarmete or Astroberry.

Problem:
When I get everything connected fine, then try to sync the dome with the mount, it slews to 270 degrees and that's pretty much it. I don't have any problems running it on the older PI 3, but Pi 4 unit always does this. I have the same problem with either the Stellarmate or Astroberry.
Any ideas what to try? Where in the settings that 270 degrees might be lurking? Can I copy the configuration files from the working Pi3/Stellarmate to the new Pi 4?

I'm totally confused and not sure where to look, I've been all over the settings and not finding a hint of the 270 degree "slew to" or whatever is going on!

Thanks,
Tom
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Tom Gwilym.
4 years 1 month ago #49882

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Most likely dome slaving checks the initial mount coordinates and slaves the dome to 270 degrees where it thinks it is looking. With verbose logging turned on, you'll probably see this.

So where is the dome looking at? I presume north? maybe due to some edge condition, it becomes 270. Though Ferran is the expert in this matter. I'll try to look at it when I have some time.
4 years 1 month ago #49885

Thanks Jasem,
I'll log the rotation and see what that shows. That might give me a clue what's going on.
I have my dome parked at 100 degrees, home position is at 180 (from my LX200 days wedge parking). I now use an EQ6-R mount that parks on Polaris, I still have to move the magnet to 360.
As soon as I unpark the scope the dome goes to 270. Maybe has something to do with my 180 home?
Strange that it's only with the new Pi 4 though.

Tom
4 years 1 month ago #49887

Everything else is identical regarding parameters? both rpi3 and rpi4 are up to date with latest INDI? Anyway, awaitng the logs.
4 years 1 month ago #49888

Yep. I updated the Pi3/Astromate using the software updater. I didn't want to do anything too drastic on that one (like full new image) since it's working ok. The Pi4 with both Astroberry or Stellarmate are fresh installs. I am playing with Astroberry more right now since I'm having problems with making the monitor setting stick in config.txt (but that's a whole different issue).
As far as I can tell, I have the settings matched up in EKOS. I'll spin it around a few times and see what I can find in the log.

Your Stellermate on the Pi3 that I helped you test, works beautifully though! Just trying to upgrade. :-)

Tom
4 years 1 month ago #49919

Logs from the .local and .indi folders?
I ran it and tried slewing around. Just goes to 270 and won't even attempt to slew anywhere else the mount does.
4 years 1 month ago #49932

Check my signature for how to enable logs and enable the Dome logs and then send the log file.
4 years 1 month ago #49936

All set, but nothing is writing. :-(
4 years 1 month ago #49969
Attachments:

I think I figured something out after spending a couple hours messing with things.
It seems that when my dome slaving settings are all set to 0.00, the dome will go to 270 degrees and do nothing else. When I set some numbers in there (like the attached photo) the slaving works!
But, for some reason they aren't saving the settings when I shut down the Pi, so when I restart they are all back to zero. At least I'm making some progress with this problem.

Tom
4 years 1 month ago #49971
Attachments:

Ok, now it's saving! Not sure what I was doing, but I think I have it going now....or have a good idea how to get it away from 270 degrees. I'll try it when it's dark and see where I go. I think I have it worked out for now. Finally, I can give this Pi4 a test run. Yay! :-D
4 years 1 month ago #49972

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds