INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Fits Viewer - Background pseudo ADU

• Thank you received: 11
Is it possible to create a feature that allows the user to select an area within an image in the fitsviewer to give a targeted opportunity to critique background psuedo ADU e.g a moveable box of say 100x100 pixels that shows the user some appropriate stats. The mean/min/max of the 10,000 'background'pixels could be a useful value to quickly determine exposure. The Fitsviewer currently produces DN values for the whole image so why not for a user selected area. Maybe link said feature with the cursor over the image.
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
4 years 3 weeks ago #51028

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 19
I agree absolutely with this request. In order to determine the right exposure, we have to compare the standard deviation of the background into a capture to the same value into an offset. The capture value must be within 3.5 and 5 the offset value. So we have to select an area of the image background. Today I have to load the two images into Iris software to do that. It would be convenient to be able to do so with Kstars.

Thank in advance.
4 years 3 weeks ago #51157

• Thank you received: 11
That's an interesting factor to determine correct exposure. When you say within '3.5 and 5' what parameter are you evaluating?
Skywatcher 190MN - EQ6 Pro (with Belt Mod) - ASI1600MM-Cooled - ASI EFW7 - ASI120MM - WO f4 Guide Scope - Rigel nStep - KStars/Ekos - KDE - PixInsight
4 years 3 weeks ago #51170

You mesure the standard deviation (sigma) of a background area in capture and offset.

Sigma (image)~3.5 to 5 sigma(offset)

Try 1, 2, 3 or more minute exposition and examine the sigma against an offset. It is not needed to overpass the value 5.
4 years 3 weeks ago #51174

• Thank you received: 133
I assume with 'offset' you refer to a dark? Indeed an interesting way of doing it. It seems to boil down to the standard approach of 'swamping read noise', using the dark/offset STDEV as read noise?
4 years 3 weeks ago #51224

The right word is BIAS I think. Not dark.
4 years 3 weeks ago #51229

Time to create page: 0.599 seconds