INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Dubious drift graphics

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic Dubious drift graphics

Right, the data displayed is simply not correct, IMO. The guiding errors are reduced by 50% (both in RA and DE) when changing from 1x1 to 2x2 binning which doesn't make sense.
3 years 10 months ago #53195

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Dubious drift graphics

I looked through the code and I'm quite certain that you're right, the values given by the internal guider don't take binning into account.
Will fix at some point in the next couple weeks if someone doesn't beat me to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, Jose Corazon
3 years 10 months ago #53196

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Odiug on topic Dubious drift graphics

I made the same observation. With 2x2 binning I had RMS values "too good to be true". But for 2x2 binning to work well, I also had to set the proportional gain much higher than recommended (2x - 4x). Could that be affected as well?

CS
Guido
3 years 10 months ago #53509

• Thank you received: 559

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Dubious drift graphics

Yes, Guido. Makes sense. The 2x2 binning guiding had error calculations that were too low, by a factor of 2.
This is now fixed in the source code and in the nightlies.
phabricator.kde.org/D29426
If you had come to like a certain proportional gain with binning greater than 1x1, you'll likely want to change that once you start using this fix.
3 years 10 months ago #53510

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic Dubious drift graphics

Exactly my observation, Guido! I always guided in 2x2 mode and had to set proportional gain as high as 300. That should be a thing of the past with Hy's fix though.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Alfred.
3 years 10 months ago #53522

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Odiug on topic Dubious drift graphics

It actually confused and frustrated me quite a lot, that I had those incredible good results with a QHY5 at 2x2 binning, but could not get an ASI 224mc at 1x1 to guide at all. It just went all over the place and aborted. Now it's clear that the proportional gain was much too high, as I was using the settings from the 2x2 binning.
I only got suspicious recently when I started to play around with PHD2 guiding. There QHY5 and ASI224mc worked fine as expected. With this experience I got back to INDI's internal guider and used the default recommended proportional gain values and it worked with both cameras at roughly the same RMS performance only 2x higher than I was experiencing with 2x2 binning.
As a side note: PHD2 performs a bit better than the internal guider for me, so I am using this for now.

CS Guido
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
3 years 10 months ago #53570

Time to create page: 2.211 seconds