INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Guiding problem using EKOS

• Thank you received: 28
Hi all just to add to the guiding issue, i have not had much luck with the internal guider on my RPi4 over the last few nights ever since the last update (3.4.2). See attached logs.

When i use phd2, i have no issues. See attached log from phd2.

Initially i though the problem was with my mount, so i adjusted my mount to eliminate backlash. Polar alignment was within within 12" of the south celestial pole. The weather was fine (no wind), no cable snags, everything was balanced and mount clutches tight.

But the internal guider just did not want to cooperate. I also tested with my Asus tinker board which was last updated on 2/1/2020 and the internal guider works perfectly.

So something has changed in the internal guider.

regards
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Petar Milevski. Reason: spelling
3 years 11 months ago #52422

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Any special settings for RA in PHD2? It appears that you might need more proportional gain for RA? Perhaps decrease minimal pulse to 50 instead of 100?
3 years 11 months ago #52429

• Thank you received: 160

Replied by Alfred on topic Guiding problem using EKOS

The internal guider graph looks like the RA pulses never reached the mount. Are you guiding via ST4 or mount? The log tells us Ekos sends correction pulses of >1s in RA (which is huge) yet no reaction in the guide graph at all. Clearly this is not what one would expect! [BTW, have guide graph and log file been taken at the same time? It would be helpful if we could see the correction pulses in the guide graph, too.] It's not a PA issue. Did the internal guider calibrate OK? Did you watch it calibrate?
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Alfred.
3 years 11 months ago #52435

Hi krno and Herrhausen, thanks for your fast responses.

I using eqmod pulse guiding method, not ST4. I have not used ST4 cable from guide camera to mount for a long time.

The graphs were taken one after the other. I first ran phd2 (using its default settings), guidered for a while until everything was stable. I then disconnected phd2 and reinstated the internal guider and did the same. I did not move the mount, it was still pointing at the same target and the time from disconnection of phd2 and re-connection to internal guiding was only 20 or seconds. I have now plotted the pulse below the error correction and Herrhausen is correct; the mount is not receiving the RA connection pulses for some reason. See attachment.

How can one use phd2 and internal guider logging at the same time? As you suggest this will be the best way to log what is going on?

regards
3 years 11 months ago #52477
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 559
Out of curiosity, which guide star-detection algorithm are you using?
3 years 11 months ago #52486

hi hy,

Im using the default ekos logarithm, Smart. I have also tried SEP as well with the same results. I have also tried the other 3 with no luck.

regards
3 years 11 months ago #52487
Attachments:

Hi all so after the issues with RPi4 guiding (and wifi eqmod connection) I uninstalled everything and did a fresh install. I tested eqmod wifi and it now connects. I have not had a chance to test the guider due to weather, but i have a funny feeling it will now work.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm no Linux expert), but to update my Rpi4 (and tinker board), all i do:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Is this the correct way to keep my system up to date with the stable INDI releases?

regards
3 years 11 months ago #52769

• Thank you received: 102
In the guide tab in Ekos, make sure you select "EQMod" next to "Via" and not your guide camera. Selecting your guide camera will attempt to send the guiding corrections via the ST4 port, but as you said, you have nothing plugged in there. Hence, no guide pulses will reach the mount!

3 years 10 months ago #52905
Attachments:

Petarm,

the mount did receive correction pulses for a while and guiding in RA was OK then. From looking at the graph it is clear the correction pulses for larger aberrations were way too short. When the RA error grows, Ekos has to send longer correction pulses in order to move the guide star back to the baseline. For whatever reason it didn't do that. RA guiding was OK as long as the RA error was small. What are your settings in max pulse? Try 1000 in both RA and DE. (I'm aware this probably won't fix it as when the RA error grew, Ekos should have sent correction pulses of max duration which it didn't.)

What also strikes me is the fact that all proper correction pulses go in the same direction (positive correction pulse values). Why there are no negative values being sent is beyond me. Did you watch the internal guider calibrate?
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Alfred.
3 years 10 months ago #52937

On second thought it appears clear to me that Ekos simply did send RA correction pulses in one direction only. When the guide star deviated to positive territory, Ekos did not send (any/sufficiently long) correction pulses. Once the guide star deviated into negative territory, Ekos DID send appropriate correction pulses and prevented it from deviating further into negative territory. Once the guide star reverted direction again, correction pulses were either too short or non-existent again.

Are you sure all ticks are properly set like in this screenshot? I have a hunch like one of them was missing in your configuration.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Alfred.
3 years 10 months ago #52960
Attachments:

Hi All, thanks for your responses. The weather hasn't been the best here, so i haven't had a chance to check your suggestions.

Leave it with me, hopefully over the weekend i can do some tests and report back.

regards
3 years 10 months ago #52981

Hi all so similar issues to before. So I uninstalled and reinstalled everything.

It's now guiding with no issues. Looks like something was half baked in my last apt upgrade.

Thanks for all your help.

Regards
3 years 10 months ago #53115

Time to create page: 0.303 seconds