INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Problem with sequence number in capture module

• Thank you received: 3
Hello,

Last night I had a problem with Ekos (3.4.1 on MacOSX). If I start the sequence (for example a 15 lights) from the capture tab, all frame are named with the 001 index, so next frame overwrite the previous one. If I save the sequence definition and use it with the scheduler, no problem there, the suquence number is correctly increment.

Do I miss anything crucial in my understanding/settings of Ekos capture module ? or is it a bug/problem ?

Thanks,
Anthony.
3 years 10 months ago #53330

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

That definitely should not happen. Only way this could happen if Ekos for some reason does not have *proper* access to the folder since it queries the folder for all the saved files. You have a screenshot? what's the generated file name?
3 years 10 months ago #53336

The base folder is /Users/anthonyhinsinger/Documents/Ekos/test1
The light files have all been saved as :
/Users/anthonyhinsinger/Documents/Ekos/test1/Light/M_51_Light_001.fits
3 years 10 months ago #53338

knro, may be you point the problem. Permissions ..... OSX has some f$*#% permissions system to allow application to access to some folders... but the strange thing is kstars has been able to save files, so I don't usderstand why it could not "read" thoses files to determine the next name to use.
3 years 10 months ago #53339

Ok, I think I've pointed the problem.
When I started Kstars/Ekos, I have been to the capture module, and the document folder was already set, so I didn't open the file brower to select it. I think the consequence is kstars hasn't "unlock" the osx security on the document folder or something like that... As soon as I've opened the folder to select one (or even reselect the same after that) no more problems :s it has just ruined 45 minutes of shoots :) astro life ...... :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 10 months ago #53340

• Thank you received: 9
I've experienced the same issue with Sellarmate OS on RPI4. I haven't tried your workaround yet though. Will try that next time.
3 years 10 months ago #53355

wcreech19, I don't know stellarmate, but in this case, kstars/ekos is on the stellarmate board ? or do you connect it through INDI on a computer with its own kstars ?
In the first case, it can kill my diagnostic, because there is nothing about OSX and its permissions system in your stack. Btw, may be re-browse the destination folder can have some effect in ekos, so it would suggest a bug somewhere ? I've been unable to reproduce it since a rebrowse, even after a kstars complete restart :s

Anthony.
3 years 10 months ago #53357

• Thank you received: 9
Everything is ran off of the Pi, I only VNC into the pi with a Mac. Kstars/Ekos is ran on the StellarMate OS and the fits are saved on a folder on the OS so I don't think it's a Mac specific issue but rather something with Kstars/Ekos.
3 years 10 months ago #53358

• Thank you received: 6
I also experienced this issue randomly a few times. I couldn't figure out why it sometimes happens. The easiest workaround is just to ALWAYS enable Timestamp (TS) in the filename for each sequence. Even if all frames have the same number 001, they still have different names because of the timestamp, so they won't override themselves.
3 years 10 months ago #53373

So, I've been able to reproduce the problem. For this, closing/restarting kstars hsn't been enough.
If :
- reboot my computer
- start kstars
- open Ekos and connect simulators
- add a new sequence without changing the pre-filled "Directory" parameter
- start the sequence

then, Ekos is not incrementing the frame index in filename.

As soon as I open the browser UI of the "Directory" param, no problem anymore (even if I restart kstars, this is why I suspect a link with OSX app permissions)

Note : I tested the same workflow on my linux desktop, no problem, filenames are going well !
Anthony
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Anthony Hinsinger.
3 years 10 months ago #53403

Time to create page: 0.936 seconds