INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

problems with offline solving

• Thank you received: 2
Hi, All, tried to solve yesterday night with that fits file (now as jpeg) to solve the position. no chance... no solving. intalled the fits files for offline solving...

;-(
Matthias
3 years 10 months ago #54309
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182
Did you check whether your telescope's FOV was defined correctly? If not, the FOV would likely be off and then the solver cannot find anything, because it is working under the wrong parameters.
3 years 10 months ago #54318

in the meantime, i tried that attached jpeg and that worked... so coult it be that my loaded FITS with 32MB is too big? (It was one of the Lightframes)
Matthias
3 years 10 months ago #54321

The jpg will be used for blind solving, i.e. the solver makes no assumptions about FOV. Takes longer, though. 32 MB FITS is not too big for solving, all my images are 32 MB FITS files. That's the output from the ASI1600MM, not a problem. The Pi4 will solve those in ~10s.
I still guess that your FOV is set wrong. You can also go into the Options for the solver and untick the box that specifies to take FL and sensor geometry into account. That will force the solver to use blind solving to analyze your FITS file.
3 years 10 months ago #54323

HI, tried again and checked the FOV... using my LX200 8" and the Canon the fov reults in 61'x 41'... with jpg it works (after 35sec) and with FITS... no... i did install all astrometry indices 4203 -4219 at /usr/share/astrometry
matthias
3 years 10 months ago #54370

There is something wrong with your settings. I use a Nikon D3300 and that has no trouble solving, although it has 24 MP vs. 16MP on your Canon. But I use the RAW setting in the control panel , not the FITS image transfer.
I suggest asking Wouter for help with the Canon settings. He also uses a Canon DSLR on occasion and solving works just fine for him, also on an RC8.
3 years 10 months ago #54397

• Thank you received: 420
It has been nearly a year since I last imaged with a Canon DSLR but I can try to help. Can you please take screenshots of the Align tab and of all four tabs in the popup that opens when you click on the options button at the lower right of the Align tab? Also, can you share the FITS file that fails at some location? Finally, why do you image in FITS? All stacking software are perfectly capable of handling CR2 files. But that's beside the points.

Wouter
3 years 10 months ago #54400

Hallo El Corazon... that seems to be the problem... with L-jpg it works. so i try the RAW as native... when sending the fits file dirctly through the web at astrometry.net it takes some 5 min. to solve...
(result can be seen at www.worldwidetelescope.org/webclient/?wt...47.03313&fov=0.40753) so it works. but takes too long. see you nxt week, because weather changed to rain...
Matthias
3 years 10 months ago #54401

In my hands, offline solving, even on a Pi4, is usually faster than online solving. Takes about 10s.
Perhaps dcraw is not installed or not accessible?
Anyway, you can solve these problem even when the skies are cloudy. That's the best time for this, actually. Just post the RAW and/or the FITS files and screenshots of your settings, as Wouter asks.
This is not an intrinsic Ekos problem. Lots of people use Canon cameras, from most of them you never hear because the system works right out of the box.
3 years 10 months ago #54402

Good Morning (here in the Eifel, Germany) here is a link to my Server, where i placed some fits work... i tried with offline. Perhaps / hope you can "solve " the problem, because the solving function is quite helpful.
Sorry, no CR2 files (guess there was a problem to download it from cam with Kstars and Canon 5d classic) used it together with my old Meade LX200 8" (200/2000mm)

www.magentacloud.de/share/g5metn0zj2

Thanks at all Matthias
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Matthias Greiner-Petter.
3 years 10 months ago #54411

• Thank you received: 420
Good night from Chile Matthias,

I downloaded both FITS files and successfully solved them within 5 seconds on my MacBook with the latest KStars stable. I use astrometry.net and not sextractor by the way. There really is nothing wrong with those FITS files. So, please create those screenshots that I asked you about.

FYI I used the simulators in KStars and the "Load & Slew" option.

Wouter
3 years 10 months ago #54412

oh, Hi just saw your comment, thanks... i placed a screenshot in that link... is it not enough?
cs matthias
3 years 10 months ago #54414

Time to create page: 0.464 seconds