INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Meridian flip - is there a limit?

• Thank you received: 1
Hi,

This will seem like an odd question but it follows an odd occurrence last night.

Was imaging last night and my meridian flip failed. the scope tracked the object (M8) all night until it hit the tripod. Thankfully nothing was damaged. This is odd because I've had such good luck with flips in the past. They have only failed if I didn't set it up properly. I checked my setting this morning and nothing had changed. the only thing I can think of is maybe the mount became 'confused' by an earlier flip that failed due to not being able to find a guide star.

So my question is, if a flip fails during the night and I then move to another target, does the mount think it's already on the other side of the meridian and hence is the reason why the later flip failed?

Rene
3 years 10 months ago #55595

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 138
It depends.

The later versions of Ekos have an hour angle limit which you can set to something sensible. Then, Iff your mount reports pier side reliably, Ekos will monitr pier side and hour angle and if the flip fails Ekos will be able to tell and will stop tracking when the Ha limit is exceeded with the mount in the wrong pointing state.

But this depends on the mount reporting pier side correctly. It is doesn't then no checks can be made.
3 years 10 months ago #55599

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.968 seconds